• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Rotor Delco 8cyl

I do not have my catalog here I need a part number for the rotor
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

You might say what year your car is. The earlier Delco distributor is totally different than the later Delco distributor with the window.

Failing that, just get a rotor from the same year Chevrolet V8.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 03-30-2019, 01:41 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Well I found one on eBay went to Advance with the part number they'll have it tomorrow morning 9 the internet is a wonderful thing it's an early Delco with no window
      Mark Riesch
      New Bern, NC

Comment

I've been using Standard Motor Parts DR309 rotors in place of the original rotors with the carbon rod resistor as I've had several of the original type rotors throw the carbon rod which immediately shuts down the engine. The distributor and engine don't care and the non resistor rotor is a bunch cheaper. The carbon rod was used in the old days to reduce radio noise, but the modern plug wires used on most engines have the necessary resistance built in which works better at reducing radio noise than the carbon rod ever did. Bud

Comment

Carbon rod? I don't understand I'm uneducated on this.
          I'm eliminating the points and going to a pertronix.
          Mark Riesch
          New Bern, NC

Comment

The carbon rod is a resistor built into the rotor. It's that black thing on top that looks like a fat pencil lead between the center line of the rotor and the arm that reaches out to the contacts in the cap.

Like Bud said, it was used for AM radio interference, but modern spark plug wires do a much better job of eliminating radio interference.
            Last edited by RadioRoy; 03-31-2019, 11:54 AM.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

A word of caution, do not run the resistor rotor with resistor wires.
              '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

As I look back on 40+ years of playing with , touring with, and commuting with old cars, the Delco resistor rotor has caused me and my customers more roadside Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9147.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1725857grief than any other single mechanical item. Have changed them all out for the Pontiac equivalent, NAPA #RR157 which has no resistor.

Comment

In my youth - a long time ago - I stopped for gas but then my ‘57 Silver Hawk would not start. I quickly found that the carbon slug on the rotor had disappeared. This was 9:00PM on a Saturday night in Sweet Home, Oregon. Fortunately my local friend had a neighbor that owned the Western Auto store. He came from home and opened up his store and supplied a new rotor.
                  After all these years, I notice that the new available rotors have the carbon slug very thoroughly epoxied in place. These look way more trustworthy than the old Delco rotors - although I probably drove various Studebakers more than 100,000 miles with only this one failure.

Comment

I started using the rotors with no resistor probably 50 years ago after losing the carbon rod twice on my 56 Power Hawk. Even though the Studebakers I owned that used the resistor rotor are long gone, I have had several cars towed in that have thrown the carbon rod. GM had the right idea when they stopped using them in their cars. Like Radio Roy says, the modern resistor core wires do a better job eliminating radio interference anyway. Bud

Comment

My friends and I used to always put a dab of JB Weld over the carbon rod.
                      Also always carry an extra rotor on general principles, and spare cap too, just in case you got rear ended which almost always breaks the rotor and or cap.

Have the newly made rotors gotten better? For a while there the newly made ones were kinda loose fitting on the shaft.

Comment

I bought a Lark in Indiana that was owned by a pastor.
                        He was not home when I came for the car but his wife was there and explained that the pastor had several people try to get the car running but gave up.
                        I quickly determined that the resistor was missing and I did not have an other rotor.
                        I found a nail on his workbench and a side cutter to make a replacement for the resistor and drove the car home.
                        The pastor called me later and told me that his wife told him that I put a nail in the car and it started.He was very curious where I put the nail.

Comment

Originally posted by Bills R2 View Post
                          A word of caution, do not run the resistor rotor with resistor wires.
                          That's interesting, what happened to your's? Or what "MIGHT" happen?

There are literally Hundreds of 1951 to 1960 Stude. V8 's running that combo Today including every one I have EVER owned since 1961 and no problems yet, except for the occasional aforementioned Loose Carbon issue!
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

"That's interesting, what happened to your's? Or what "MIGHT" happen?"
                            See post 8
                            '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

Post 38 has NOTHING to do with the Resistance and the Radio, and what might happen if you use resistance Plug Wires with the STOCK resistance Rotor that MOST Studes. with that Distributor do have.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X