after market gauge hook up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: after market gauge hook up

This might sound like dumb questions, but I'm new to Studebakers. I have a 55 Champion with a rebuilt 289 motor converted to 12 volt neg. ground. I want to install after market analog mechanical gauges. I'm not sure where on the 289 V8 I can install the temperature sender and the hook up for the oil line for the gauge. This is a Studebaker 289 not a Ford. Any help would be appreciated.

Oil gauge hook up on my 289 Champ PU Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2297.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1725844

Comment

As in the picture above the oil line can go into the 1/8" pipe thread at the back of the right head on the top surface or the rear surface, or into the same port at the front of the left head.

Depending on what model car and if you have a heater or not, the water sender can go into the plate/ plug on the rear surface of either head or the plug if you have one in the top of the water manifold. You can also change the water outlet to one with a threaded port in it if needed, many GM ones have them and will fit. it all depends on your particular setup.
      sigpic

Comment

The Temp Sending Unit goes at the Rear of the Driver's side (Left) Cyl. Head. There should be a Plate with the hole in it that the sender is screwed into.
        If this V8 engine swap was from a '56 or Newer Stude. the current sender will be a 12 Volt and may work depending on the OHMs requirement of the aftermarket Gauges.

The Oil Gauge pressure line goes near the rear end of the Right Cyl. Head. It will require a Flex Hose to the Firewall due to engine movement.

Use caution about replacing the Water Outlet (Thermostat Housing) with other make's Parts as they do not have the recess for the Thermostat built in like Stude. ones do.
        Anyway if this 289 V8 is a 1956 to 1960, it will have a 4 Bolt T'Stat Housing that no other make fits.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          The Temp Sending Unit goes at the Rear of the Driver's side (Left) Cyl. Head. There should be a Plate with the hole in it that the sender is screwed into.
          If this V8 engine swap was from a '56 or Newer Stude. the current sender will be a 12 Volt and may work depending on the OHMs requirement of the aftermarket Gauges.

The Oil Gauge pressure line goes near the rear end of the Right Cyl. Head. It will require a Flex Hose to the Firewall due to engine movement.

Use caution about replacing the Water Outlet (Thermostat Housing) with other make's Parts as they do not have the recess for the Thermostat built in like Stude. ones do.
          Anyway if this 289 V8 is a 1956 to 1960, it will have a 4 Bolt T'Stat Housing that no other make fits.
          Good answers from you, Rich, as usual, except that you had one "brain slip" The engine is a Studebaker 289, therefore it has to be 1956-1964.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

No "brain slip". Rich was refering to thermostat housing when he wrote 1956 to 1960.

Comment

Originally posted by rbisacca View Post
              No "brain slip". Rich was refering to thermostat housing when he wrote 1956 to 1960.
              That is not the part of his response that I was referring to. This is the part/sentence that I was referring to.

"If this V8 engine swap was from a '56 or Newer Stude. the current sender will be a 12 Volt and may work depending on the OHMs requirement of the aftermarket Gauges."
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks guys that's what I needed...….Joe

Comment

Be careful how you hook up the oil gauge, DO NOT use nylon tubing as supplied with some gauges!!! I have had several blow ouy of the fitting or crack. Just lucky they were under the hood and not inside the car. You can get the copper line from most hot rod suppliers. Advance Auto had the kit also. Jim

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    That is not the part of his response that I was referring to. This is the part/sentence that I was referring to.

"If this V8 engine swap was from a '56 or Newer Stude. the current sender will be a 12 Volt and may work depending on the OHMs requirement of the aftermarket Gauges."
                    You are correct Gary IF this V8 "replacement" Engine in a '55 Champion, was completely Stock.

Actually I was leaving it open for a "Owner Mod" possibility, referring to only the Heads and Block, not the Pistons and Crank, which honestly we just have no idea anymore WHAT they might be, how about a "224" V8 Block with 289 innards!

This is getting a bit silly Gary, but anyway No harm No foul, just unnecessary details.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                    X