T10 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: T10 swap

I have a T10 from a '63 hawk that I would like to put into my '59 silverhawk. Currently my car has a 3 speed overdrive and I am wondering what I will need to do the swap? I know it will need a different driveshaft, but will the cross member and bell that are in the car work?

A original T-10 from a ‘63 - ‘64 Studebaker has the same bolt pattern as your 3 speed. Thus you just have to install a longer driveshaft, cut a opening for the floor shifter, and use the correct speedometer cable housing, neutral safety switch, and back up light switch.

(Not stated, but I assume your ‘59 Hawk is a V-8)

Comment

How about clutch linkage? Doesn't the inner end bolt to the trans on the four speed?- Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jrlemke View Post
        How about clutch linkage? Doesn't the inner end bolt to the trans on the four speed?- Jim
        You are correct. I did a similar swap on a ‘63 Daytona Wagonaire, but of course on ‘61 and later Larks the clutch linkage is all forward of the transmission.
        So, yes you will need a fairly unique and rare clutch shaft support bracket as used on ‘61- ‘64 4 speed Hawks - also used on earlier Hawks with the T-85 Heavy Duty 3 speed, but that application is quite rare.

Comment

It would help to know what parts came with your T10.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Yes, my car is a v8 and all I got with the t10 is the trans itself, and a stock shifter with linkage, oh and the yoke.

Can I use the stock starter? I'll have to look into the clutch shaft support bracket... it could be something I could possibly make if I can't find one. What about the crossmember? Will the one on my hawk work?

Comment

Since your Clutch Housing will not be moving, the Crossmember it is sitting on also will not.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Would he have to think about changing the ring & pinion going from
                a 3SP OD to a 4 speed?

Comment

Years ago I made one of those clutch shaft supports , It wasn't to hard to fabricate . Ed

Comment

Not only the shaft support bracket, but the shaft itself is different too. Almost all of the clutch pedal linkage parts are specific to the 4 speed. The driveshaft is a different length too.

I’ve been gathering up the same parts for an upcoming project, most of it is pretty scarce. I’ll post some photos later today so you can see what you need.

Comment

I have a T10 from a '63 hawk that I would like to put into my '59 silverhawk.
                      Originally posted by paul shuffleburg View Post
                      Would he have to think about changing the ring & pinion going from a 3-speed OD to a 4 speed?
                      Good point. It's important to define one's goals. Why is the transmission being changed? The 3-speed overdrive is a wonderful all-around transmission. The 4-speed gains a synchro low, but loses the overdrive. Also expect to lose a few MPG.

The '59 Silver Hawk with overdrive would typically come with a 3.73 rear gear and 2.61 in overdrive. With a 4-speed, that's great for acceleration off the line, but maybe too busy for cruising. A 3.31 or even 3.07 would be better if many highway miles are anticipated.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

The ‘63 Daytona Wagonaire I had changed from a 3 speed to a 4 speed as mentioned in post #4 had been a straight 3 speed, thus it had a 3.31 rear end - perfect for the 4 speed.

Comment

The shaft on the right and the mounting bracket on the end are the specific pieces for a 4 speed Hawk.

Last edited by mbstude; 03-30-2019, 12:00 PM.

Comment

You guys are great, thank you for all the information and pictures. It looks like I'll need to find some parts first before attempting the swap.

Comment

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
                              Yes, all I got with the t10 is the trans itself, and a stock shifter with linkage,
                              Your build, but I wouldn't install a stock shifter even if it came free. A Hurst transforms the feel of the 4-speed. Those who value the stock handle look, it can be cut off and used with the Hurst.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X