Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Need Help with Stromberg WW

Hey all, this pertains to my:

'56 2E-12 3/4 ton pickup with factory auto trans.. stock Stromberg WW 6-117 with the 90* "backdraft" style air intake.. (as shown in Group III, page 31 of the service manual)

the background here is that the truck would start up and idle just fine, and was able to revv up so long as there was some choke on. Once it reached operating temp however, it would fall on it's face as soon as you cracked the throttle.

Previous owner suspected the accelerator pump.

The other night I took it off the truck, opened up the top and sho-nuff, no spritzing action at all from the accelerator pump.
    further investigation showed that I was missing BOTH check-balls in the circuit. and, oh joy of joys, they are actually included in the rebuild kit!
    Last night I plopped them in.. and STILL NOTHING!
    well, a different sort of nothing I should say.

If you can open this vidayho, it shows the problem:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/QfxwkrtWVsezfa9L6

If you can't see it, what's happening is that if I have the accelerator pump jet nozzle assembly off, you can see gas spurt out easily.
    once I cinch it down however, it's locked up tight. can't even push the plunger down.
    crack the jet loose a bit and you can see gas spurt out around the gaps.

so, it seems like when the jet is tightened down, it's locking up the check-ball in there. And no, there's no 2nd ball caught in there that my eyes can see.. and there no detrius for things to hang up on that I can see. I even took a small punch and very lightly gave it a tap to see if it needed to be seated harder down in there. Same results.

So here's the $64,000 question.. do I have the wrong jet or something? did someone put one in that's too long? or is the ball too big? what gives?
    I'm at my witts end here!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190328_204907.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1760219Click image for larger version

Name:	20190328_204758.jpg
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1760220

Cheers,
    Brian

Make sure that screw is the right one,it should have a hole drilled in the center and not plugged up.

Comment

There should also be a Hole in the side of the screw that needs to flow.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        There should also be a Hole in the side of the screw that needs to flow.
        yep, it's clear and open. 100% positive on that

Comment

We are starting to grasp at straws here, that's just weird. But... is there any chance the Large Ball for the Accelerator Pump could be in the Discharge Nozzle Hole?

The correct Ball is VERY small.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            We are starting to grasp at straws here, that's just weird. But... is there any chance the Large Ball for the Accelerator Pump could be in the Discharge Nozzle Hole?

The correct Ball is VERY small.
            yeah, there's a clear difference between the big and small. I'm not sure the bigger one would even drop in past the threads on the discharge side. But anyway, no the small one is definitely in the discharge side. I just wonder if the small ball from the kit is maybe too large yet? I have no idea..

I can blow compressed air through the passages easily when it's all broken down.

Earlier today I found another WW on ebay cheap enough that I bought it just for the core. I guess we'll see what the differences are if any soon?

Comment

It looks like the "Shooter" is plugged, strange situation. have you blown air through the shooter? Luck Doofus PS let us know what happens please.

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                It looks like the "Shooter" is plugged, strange situation. have you blown air through the shooter? Luck Doofus PS let us know what happens please.
                completely clear.
                out in the shop as I type.. still got nothing
                i even double-gasketed the assembly and the jet screw hoping it was a clearance issue... still no joy

Comment

OK time to get aggressive. check end of screw in shooter, needs 2 small notches at bottom for fuel to get around check ball.i would fill pump well, set pump in place and tap with something like a hammer. might get away with using old pump, and watch your eyes. if that doesnt get you any joy i would go back to square 1 after a good break. possible case of cant see forest for the trees. Luck Doofus

Comment

The bottom of the hollow screw has a half circle ridge lip on it. It prevents the ball from shooting up from it's seat, and acting like a plug the opposite direction. If it is just a hole, and smooth on the end there is your problem.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                      OK time to get aggressive. check end of screw in shooter, needs 2 small notches at bottom for fuel to get around check ball.i would fill pump well, set pump in place and tap with something like a hammer. might get away with using old pump, and watch your eyes. if that doesnt get you any joy i would go back to square 1 after a good break. possible case of cant see forest for the trees. Luck Doofus
                      Your last statement is wise. And correct...

well, here we go - the exciting conclusion!!

First, I'll end the suspense - it had nothing to do with the check-ball.

My first attempt was to shim up the accelerator pump nozzle piece and the screw/jet with double gaskets - no joy.

Then I removed the ball completely - still nothing!!

I put the ball back in, screwed in the jet *without* the nozzle piece until it stopped, and sho nuff, it squirts!! So that means there's no way for the screw/jet piece to even reach the check-ball at all. It must be the nozzle part.

Well, if you examine the path of fuel.. it must come up past the check-ball > into the bottom of the screw/jet, out the holes in the sides of it farther up.. then pass through 2 small holes in the center bore of the nozzle piece into the inner chamber, before finally squirting out of the outer nozzle holes.

well, in my case those VERY SMALL inner holes were not clear enough. I could thread a small strand of wire through them but obviously they were not open enough to do their job.

It took about a half-dozen or so sessions in the ultrasonic bath & blowing with compressed air to get them cleaned out enough to do the job. uhg!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190331_192539.jpg
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1725860

So, now that I finally had that figured out.. I put the carb back on and fired it up. It ran for about 5 seconds and died. no re-start.
                      eventually I figured out that no fuel was getting into the bowl, and mistakenly thought I had to remove the top of the carb again to change it. So, I took the carb back off the engine, replaced the needle valve, and re-mounted the carb.

Fired up and it runs..
                      let'er warm up a bit - and it's still hesitant to revv up. It doesn't fall flat and die immediately any more.. but still wants to die out at about 1/2 throttle or so. It's all a hot mess.

At this point I'm just DONE. I took the carb back off again and I'm getting it professionally cleaned out. Whatever is gummed up in there is just more than my little hobby ultrasonic cleaner can handle.
                      My time is valuable here.. I just don't want to spend another week of nights in the shop chasing my tail ya know?

Comment

A welding tip cleaner is a great carb tool to have around. Luck Doofus PS get the long one and the short one!

Comment

Working...
                        X