53 Starliner wheel/tire enlargement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: 53 Starliner wheel/tire enlargement

What is the largest wheel and tire combo anyone has used on a stock 53 Starliner without any fender or suspension modifications?

With the correct offsets, it's possible to use 8" x 16" wheels and 245/60-16" tires.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

With an 8" rim and a 5 3/4" back space I have run both 275 X 60 X 15" and 295 X 60 X 15"s. With the 295's you had better take the curves slow and have no blubber butts in the back seat.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Comment

I don’t want any radical changes. I read it isn’t good to put radials on the original skinny wheels.

Comment

By the last pictures above, looks like another 3/4" or so could be added to the backspace and move the tire in a little more.

Tim -

Be SURE when you do this that the wheels rim width FITS the tire used..!
          That is, don't use a 7" rim with a tire with a 9" tread. The rim width should match the tread width when using radials. The produces the best handling and the best wear characteristics.
          You should have 1/2" MIN. or better 3/4" of tire "wiggle" (each side) room to keep the tires off of the springs and wheel well surfaces. The radial tire moves around a bit when cornering at speed.

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike.

Comment

I have 17x 8" with 235-55 tires, the trick is in the wheel offset, but 215-70 on 6.5x15 '93-'97 Ford Crown Vic wheels fit great, easy and bolt right on, just use the Ford lug nuts (13/16 hex).
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                I don’t want any radical changes. I read it isn’t good to put radials on the original skinny wheels.
                If that's all you're looking for, get a set of 6" wide 15" wheels (your current ones are probably 4.5 wide") with the Stude/Ford/Chrysler 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern. You can get new ones, or get some off a junk yard big rear-wheel drive Ford or Ranger pickup.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Unless you are building a 500 HP Studebaker, use Skip's wheel advice and get some P205X75R15 or P215X70R15 Tires and you're good to go!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

That’s the plan Skip and Rich.

Comment

Working...
                    X