Bendix power steering valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Bendix power steering valve

Does anyone have a picture of the hoses at the Bendix control valve that would be on a 64 Wagonaire?

I think somebody may have changed the routing of mine. The hoses are pressing against the exhaust on a hard left turn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	power steering valve hoses 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1725806Click image for larger version

Name:	power steering valve hoses.jpg
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	1725807
    sigpic

Comment

Isnt there supposed to be a "Screen Door Spring" pulling the hoses outboard, or was this an add on buy an owner???Curious in Ar, Doofus

Comment

spring was on 63' models.....I think not in 64'...at least the Larks

Comment

As with most replacement stuff nowadays, they don't quite fit. I have had the old hoses rebuilt by local implement shop and I like to do just one at a time. That spring is 'sposed to try to control the rats nest of hoses. Just be careful and like W.C. Fields, don't make left turns! I've used cable ties too, but they do not stretch.

Comment

Thank you "bensherb" for the pictures. They will certainly help me.
            Thanks to you all for your comments. I think will be altering one at a time as suggested to see is I can improve things.
            This forum is sure a help for "newbies" like me.

Comment

My Hawk has a spring, but it is (or was) on top and attached to a small tab on the steering box. It was removed because it's angle didn't pull away from the engine enough and instead pulled the hoses into the exhaust. They stay away from the exhaust fine without it. I don't like how the hoses drag across the top of the suspension and it's protruding bolts, so I made a "slider"/ protector from an antifreeze bottle and laced it around the hoses with zip ties.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                Isnt there supposed to be a "Screen Door Spring" pulling the hoses outboard, or was this an add on buy an owner???Curious in Ar, Doofus
                Added a tab to the Steering box and a 6" spring that I had in the collection. Works!
                Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9899.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1725833Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9900.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1725834Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9901.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1725835 Thanks for all the pics and suggestions. Disconnected the lines I did not like one at a time and did some relocating and re-bending of the lines and managed to get it so the valve travels freely as the wheel is turned from lock to lock. The shiny gouge mark on the starter is where the clamp on the return line was digging into it. It also had a burn mark in it from the exhaust. Happy with it now. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                  X