Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

64 Wagonaire Rear Air Shocks

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shocks: 64 Wagonaire Rear Air Shocks

    I would like to change the rear shocks on my 1964 Wagonaire to "Air-shocks".
    I cannot find any that are of the same style and dimensions.... has anyone out there done this modification?

    Any info will help... thanks.

  • #2
    Quite a few Wagons had Air Shocks back in the Day when special aftermarket Parts were readily available designed to FIT Studebakers, TODAY finding the correct fitting Air Shocks will be a serious Challenge.

    I would never try to use Air Shocks to save buying New Springs though.
    What will happen is you will Break the quite weak Crossmember that they attach to.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

    Comment


    • #3
      I agree, the shock mounts are never strong enough to support the weight of the car. If you just want air shocks for ride quality, you will have to get some numbers for fully collapsed, fully extended, and mounting bolt configuration. Then go online, or to your local flaps and see if they have a parts book that will reference those numbers. Good Luck!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
        I agree, the shock mounts are never strong enough to support the weight of the car. If you just want air shocks for ride quality, you will have to get some numbers for fully collapsed, fully extended, and mounting bolt configuration. Then go online, or to your local flaps and see if they have a parts book that will reference those numbers. Good Luck!
        I have a 64 wagionaire. when I bought it, it had air shocks that were leaking. Took them off and matched them with air shocks from Advanced Auto. They seem to be working fine for the driving I do and I don't haul anything that heavy.

        Comment


        • #5
          The reason I want to install the air shocks is because of wider than stock tires that now rub on the inside of the well wells if there are passengers in the back.
          I do not want to raise the profile of the car under normal circumstances. I think anything I do to the springs would raise it up. I would like it to be adjustable.

          Thanks for the reply.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have gone through all this with the mounting details and dimensions with a couple of dealers, but nobody seems to be able to supply them with the stud on the lower end. They all have the eyelet.
            I may see if I can modify the mount to take the eyelet type.
            Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
            I agree, the shock mounts are never strong enough to support the weight of the car. If you just want air shocks for ride quality, you will have to get some numbers for fully collapsed, fully extended, and mounting bolt configuration. Then go online, or to your local flaps and see if they have a parts book that will reference those numbers. Good Luck!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Rusty View Post
              I may see if I can modify the mount to take the eyelet type.
              That would be very easy, just replace the spring plate with one that uses a stud or bolt for shock mounting. Both our C/K's have that type. Or just weld a tab to the existing plate for the purpose.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                I would like to change the rear shocks on my 1964 Wagonaire to "Air-shocks".
                I cannot find any that are of the same style and dimensions.... has anyone out there done this modification?

                Any info will help... thanks.
                I installed NOS Studebaker factory accessory air shocks on the rear of my 1963 Wagonaire. I did not change the ride height. They greatly improved the ride and handling of the Wagonaire. I will leave it up to you to locate another set of NOS ones.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

                SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                  I would like to change the rear shocks on my 1964 Wagonaire to "Air-shocks".
                  I cannot find any that are of the same style and dimensions.... has anyone out there done this modification?

                  Any info will help... thanks.
                  email me at tedharbit@aol.com

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X