Oil filter canister color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil filter canister color

What is the right color for the oil filter canister on a 54 Commander 232 ? Orange, with black lid? I see orange with black lid, green with black lid, and all black. Been Google searching and my dealer/salesman brochure doesn't show it. Thanks
    Last edited by poweroptions; 03-26-2019, 08:03 PM.
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

That's the one pictiure I don't have, from the '53 Commander we had. I do know it was not orange, I think it was the same OD green as the rest of the engine, but it may have been black. Orange with a black top would be a Fram filter, Delco filters were dark blue. I've had each on '54 Chevy's.
    sigpic

Comment

None were Green from the Factory or a Dealer, those are "owner painted".

The Dealer installed Fram F3 or F4 Filters with the C3 or C4 Elements were Orange with the Black Lid, Studebaker Vendors have the proper Decals to make them look Great and correct.

Most of the few Oil Filters that were actually factory installed, were just ugly, solid Black, nothing to write home about.

Owners sometimes did an aftermarket install of a Walker, Hastings, Purolator or other Oil filter, but not likely a GM Delco.

Click image for larger version

Name:	54 Champion Lt. Green7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1725793 Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Tone Green Starliner6.jpg
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1725794
      Last edited by StudeRich; 03-25-2019, 12:06 AM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Agree with Rich. It may have different in the early years, but after WWII, Studebaker usually installed Fram filters. The factory-installed units were black with the usual decals. The dealers were provided with kits that were the same (except for the Stude-unique parts) as the ones that Fram provided for other makes. These were painted orange.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
          Agree with Rich. It may have different in the early years, but after WWII, Studebaker usually installed Fram filters. The factory-installed units were black with the usual decals. The dealers were provided with kits that were the same (except for the Stude-unique parts) as the ones that Fram provided for other makes. These were painted orange.
          So I have been stripping mine down , it's one of the last items I need to paint. It was presently orange, next layer is blue, next layer is black, and the final layer is engine green. Which way do I go? Our 52 Champion is orange (chevy engine) I like it cause it just adds some color under the hood. However I am trying to do up my Commander as close to original as possible. Is the green the way to go ? I have all my decals
          Attached Files
          1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

On a Modified/non-Original Red/Orange Engine, I would probably go with the Gloss black, it's your Engine & YOUR choice!

Just know that most were Orange with Black Lids, but to my eye that would not look great on Red/Orange.

Are you going to have Black Valve Covers?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Agreed on the 54 but... There is an exception to the post war process of not painting the filter engine color, that is the 55 Speedster. I have owned numerous Speedsters, over the last fifty five years, and all of them that I can remember, had dark blue canisters. Of course I can't speak for all of the Speedsters that were produced, but as in many small features, Speedsters were treated to a little differently during the production process. For instance upon seeing an engine that I had just pulled from a Speedster, Rip Stephenson, and old drag racer, took one look at the engine and indicated that it was a Speedster engine. I stood there dumbfounded, how could he know that it was from a Speedster, I hadn't said anything to that effect. When I asked him how he knew it was from a Speedster, he pointed to several areas on the block casting where someone had used a grinder to smooth out the casting. Turns out that he had seen numerous engines with this treatment, and all had come from Speedsters. As an aside, he also indicated that whenever he was choosing an engine for a large overbore, he would look for a 55 engine. The redesigned engine was new and there was no sand casting shift, as in subsequent iterations.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                On a Modified/non-Original Red/Orange Engine, I would probably go with the Gloss black, it's your Engine & YOUR choice!

Just know that most were Orange with Black Lids, but to my eye that would not look great on Red/Orange.

On this 54 the 232 was the army green with black valve covers. I went back with that however I went with the Ford Semi gloss black. I just don't like the glossy black as it seems to me to draw attention to imperfections. I haven't painted the oil canister yet . it's still on my bench. It's all coming together valve covers on, carb, air cleaner. Still undecided about the canister. The 4 coats are stripped off and I laughed as it was 4 different colors. My motor is original to the car. The first coat was the army green on the canister . I am leaning towards it with a black lid, second choice is the orange and black because the engine looks blah all green and black to me.

Comment

Coming together after 3 years of work. After the engine is completed next is the new wiring loom from Larkworks.

Comment

Originally posted by poweroptions View Post
                    So I have been stripping mine down , it's one of the last items I need to paint. It was presently orange, next layer is blue, next layer is black, and the final layer is engine green. Which way do I go? Our 52 Champion is orange (chevy engine) I like it cause it just adds some color under the hood. However I am trying to do up my Commander as close to original as possible. Is the green the way to go ? I have all my decals
                    What does the production order state? If the filter was factory installed, paint it black, if it was installed later, such as by the dealer, paint it orange with a black lid.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

His 1952 has the different engine. The 1954 that he is asking about, he is trying to keep stock. refer to my post #10.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My production order say F4 under oil filter . Todays pictures of my engine if anyone gives a hoot.

Name:	0325191655a_Film1.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1725801Click image for larger version

Name:	0325191655b_Film1.jpg
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1725800
                        Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        His 1952 has the different engine. The 1954 that he is asking about, he is trying to keep stock. refer to my post #10.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Don't know why the picture turned upside down. I am getting all the replated chrome back on.

Comment

Beautiful car. What exterior colors are those?
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Name:	IMG_2022 (2).JPG
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1725803
                              Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                              Beautiful car. What exterior colors are those?
                              THANK YOU !! It has p/steering, automatic, retract antenna, push button radio and full disc wheel covers. I have worked 3 years on this one. Maybe this year it will be ready to hit the road. I just bought it's new 2 1/2" WSW from Coker since the production order said it came with them.
                              It is Safford Cream with Ontario Blue roof and Flax vinyl interior. The camera distorts the blue in all of my pictures. The blue is a beautiful deep turquoise

Comment

Working...
                              X