Dual exhaust rear gravel pan for a '51

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Dual exhaust rear gravel pan for a '51

The rear gravel pan below the rear bumper of my '51 Champion is notched to provide clearance for the exhaust pipe, but I'm about to put a split exhaust manifold on the flathead six and run dual pipes all the way to the rear. Were there ever any rear pans used on the V8 cars that had two notches for dual exhausts, something that would fit my car and save some fabrication? Perhaps the V8 cars never offered dual exhausts because of the added expense. Would someone let me know if I'm looking for a part that doesn't exist from the factory. Thanks.

Right; no such animal was ever stamped by Studebaker for cars prior to the 1955 model year. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I may put a pan on my 52, but it will have to be a custom build. I thought I could use a stock pan and make a left notch, but I found out when Leonard moved the gas tank to the middle and added dual pipes, the right side is in the wrong place.
      For now people just have to look at the chrome diff cover.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

I gave a little, but never a lot, of thought to adding duals to my '51 Commander.
        But what I thought about doing was running both pipes on the right, side by side (avoiding any hot pipe near the fuel tank), and fabricating a dual tip that would exit without altering the gravel guard.
        By initiating the change at the crossover pipe, I believe it would be a straight shot using two pretty identical intermediate pipes and perhaps piggy-backing the mufflers, rather than side by side and, since both pipes would only be exhausting four cylinders they, as well as the mufflers, could be smaller than stock diameter.

Having NOT done it, I'm sure some other issues would be encountered.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1725791
        Last edited by rockne10; 03-24-2019, 03:17 PM.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
          I gave a little, but never a lot, of thought to adding duals to my '51 Commander.
          But what I thought about doing was running both pipes on the right, side by side (avoiding any hot pipe near the fuel tank), and fabricating a dual tip that would exit without altering the gravel guard.
          By initiating the change at the crossover pipe, I believe it would be a straight shot using two pretty identical intermediate pipes and perhaps piggy-backing the mufflers, rather than side by side and, since both pipes would only be exhausting four cylinders they, as well as the mufflers, could be smaller than stock diameter.

Having NOT done it, I'm sure some other issues would be encountered.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79646[/ATTACH]
          Sorta like this? But run 'em parallel all the way back. This is what was on Buttercup when I bought him.

Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
            Sorta like this? But run 'em parallel all the way back.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	precisely !.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1725792 And with those glass packs they could still be side by side.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Working...
            X