X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

The late-'62-'64 wide ratio Ford pattern has a 2.54 first gear, so it pulls off from a stop with street gears. Unfortunately, it has a poor ratio split, with 2nd and 3rd too close together. It can be driven as a full-synchro three speed.

jack vines
    Amen to that. In my 64 Avanti with 3.54 R/A, I often skip 2nd gear and go from 1st to 3rd.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    That's right, that is one Car you DON'T want to try to save fuel and put in a 3.07 Ratio Axle!

I do like the Gear spacing better in these 2.20 Low Gear T-10's though, with a little more "GO" Pedal they work great.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Thanks Jack. That explains why the ‘61 Hawk with 4 speed and 3.31 is a little “sluggish” from a standstill.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    The '61-mid-'62 close ratio Chevy pattern has a 2.20 first gear and is mostly preferred for drag/road racing. It doesn't have a low enough gear to pull strongly from a stop with street rear gears.

The late-'62-'64 wide ratio Ford pattern has a 2.54 first gear, so it pulls off from a stop with street gears. Unfortunately, it has a poor ratio split, with 2nd and 3rd too close together. It can be driven as a full-synchro three speed.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    started a topic Transmission / Overdrive: T-10 4 speed questions

T-10 4 speed questions

Okay, I understand that '61-62 cars with 4 speed transmission used the "Chevy" mounting pattern. The '63-64 cars used the "Ford" pattern. I'm also seeing references to "close ratio" and "wide ratio"..

What years were "close" and "wide" ratios used? What's the real-world difference between the two? All things being equal, which is more preferable, assuming you had the parts to use either one?

Thanks in advance.
Working...
X