T-10 4 speed questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: T-10 4 speed questions

Okay, I understand that '61-62 cars with 4 speed transmission used the "Chevy" mounting pattern. The '63-64 cars used the "Ford" pattern. I'm also seeing references to "close ratio" and "wide ratio"..

What years were "close" and "wide" ratios used? What's the real-world difference between the two? All things being equal, which is more preferable, assuming you had the parts to use either one?

Thanks in advance.

The '61-mid-'62 close ratio Chevy pattern has a 2.20 first gear and is mostly preferred for drag/road racing. It doesn't have a low enough gear to pull strongly from a stop with street rear gears.

The late-'62-'64 wide ratio Ford pattern has a 2.54 first gear, so it pulls off from a stop with street gears. Unfortunately, it has a poor ratio split, with 2nd and 3rd too close together. It can be driven as a full-synchro three speed.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Thanks Jack. That explains why the ‘61 Hawk with 4 speed and 3.31 is a little “sluggish” from a standstill.

Comment

That's right, that is one Car you DON'T want to try to save fuel and put in a 3.07 Ratio Axle!

I do like the Gear spacing better in these 2.20 Low Gear T-10's though, with a little more "GO" Pedal they work great.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

The late-'62-'64 wide ratio Ford pattern has a 2.54 first gear, so it pulls off from a stop with street gears. Unfortunately, it has a poor ratio split, with 2nd and 3rd too close together. It can be driven as a full-synchro three speed.

jack vines
          Amen to that. In my 64 Avanti with 3.54 R/A, I often skip 2nd gear and go from 1st to 3rd.
          78 Avanti RQB 2792
          64 Avanti R1 R5408
          63 Avanti R1 R4551
          63 Avanti R1 R2281
          62 GT Hawk V15949
          56 GH 6032504
          56 GH 6032588
          55 Speedster 7160047
          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Working...
          X