Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever removed a hood on their own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jclary
    replied
    Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post
    Title says it all. How feasible would it be to get the hood off of my Lark by myself? Tips? Tricks? Suggestions?
    Sure!... Just be careful, get yourself a chair, sit for a while and study it. Raise the hood and place it on its prop-rod as normal. Get a few old blankets, or buy some cheap mover's blankets, place one under the hood in the cowl area, and drape the fenders. Remove the springs from each side of the hinges that are attached underneath the fenders. When you remove those springs, the hood might shift a bit, but if it sits down on the metal the blankets will protect the paint. Then remove the hinge nuts from their attachment bolts. Do not remove the hinge straps from the hood until you have all the nuts off. Once you have all the nuts off, place a board about midway across the front fenders. Lower the hood onto the board and then remove the hinge straps from their bolts one corner at a time. Depending on your reach and strength, you can either lift the hood off or drag it to a safe place. I am not a very big guy (184lbs), and I have built (cobbled) a 40' X 64' building all by myself. Built a couple of barns and done several body-off frame projects. Never had any help. So, with a little thought, I'm confident you can handle this little task.

Currently, I am repairing several outbuildings. Yesterday I found myself in a very awkward position while trying to place paneling on a barn side and square it up with no help. After a few minutes in my trusty chair, I figured it out. Using a Studebaker bumper jack and an old T-model jack, I was able to keep the panels in place, adjust & square them up, and hold them in place long enough to get a couple of nails in. I will confess, at 74 years old...some of this takes a lot longer than it did at 44. This project is a small utility Dutch roof style building and the side panels are less than four feet high. I'm doing this one first before taking on another with full 8' side panels. I don't know if I can handle that one by myself. I might have to resort to desperation...like dragging my 18-year-old grandson away from his computer games and see if he can perform any tasks in the "real world?"

Leave a comment:

• jackb
    replied
    roll up some towels for the back edges to slip on to...

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    The Lark hood should be easy, it's relitively light and small. I just unbolt the hinges from the hood, lean over it from the front, grab the left and right edges, lever it against my stomach and stand up straight. Carry it to somewhere it can lean, let it slide in one hand till that hand is at the back edge and stand it on the now free side. The Hawk hood is another story; it's too long to lift that way; at least for me. It's a two man deal.

Leave a comment:

• Anyone ever removed a hood on their own?

Title says it all. How feasible would it be to get the hood off of my Lark by myself? Tips? Tricks? Suggestions?
Working...
X