Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever removed a hood on their own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Lark hood can’t weigh more than 30 pounds. Prop it up wth the rod as you normally would, remove the springs and the 4 hinge nuts, and pull the hinges off the hood one side at a time and let the hood corner rest on the cowl. Put a rolled up towel under the corner if you don’t want to chip the paint. With the hinges free, lift the front of the hood off the prop rod, lower it down until you can grab both sides, and pick it up off the car.

I’ve done it by myself with Larks, mid 50s sedans, and even a couple of Hawks. Nothing to it.

Clark, marking the hinge location wouldn’t be necessary on an early Lark. The hinge is adjusted at the cowl on those cars, not the hood like your ‘63. Makes it even easier on the earlier cars.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
      A Lark hood can’t weigh more than 30 pounds. Prop it up wth the rod as you normally would, remove the springs and the 4 hinge nuts, and pull the hinges off the hood one side at a time and let the hood corner rest on the cowl. Put a rolled up towel under the corner if you don’t want to chip the paint. With the hinges free, lift the front of the hood off the prop rod, lower it down until you can grab both sides, and pick it up off the car.

I’ve done it by myself with Larks, mid 50s sedans, and even a couple of Hawks. Nothing to it.

Clark, marking the hinge location wouldn’t be necessary on an early Lark. The hinge is adjusted at the cowl on those cars, not the hood like your ‘63. Makes it even easier on the earlier cars.
      Under 30 pounds and under 30 years of age is a good combination for hood removal but as the average age is well over 30 years here as well as the muscles and body support structure that are also aged.

I've done many the way you suggested and you know I'm big enough to handle one but in my dotage I'm now resorting to guile and force multiplication accessories, however.

Good though on the adjustment.

Bob

Comment

Thanks, y'all!
        Attached Files
        1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Drill a 18" locating hole through the hinge flat
          I do hope that is a misprint of 1/8"
          Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment