Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: This is the best find yet

Hi all. Hope your day is a good one.

I decided to get the Daytona home today and have a "tinker" which proved successful as it's now running really well.

Feeling rather pleased with myself I thought I would turn my attentions to the leaf springs which are a little weak. I don't know if anyone read / remembers my (very whinging) post from a while back about my car having a clean MOT test with no advisories, but if not here's the short version....
    I bought the car from a trader with a full MOT but when I got the car delivered there was a stack of issues that should have, at the very least, been advisories.

Anyway, I have sorted those issues and I'm now trying to get the car running and driving as it should. I'm nearly there now but the rear springs are a little weak, so with some great advice from this forum I decided to get the spanners out and whip the springs out.

Anyone see the issues here?.......
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0195.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1760180
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1760181

How the hell did an MOT inspector pass this car?

So the springs remain on the car until I can source some rubbers.....
    The funniest thing about this signature is by the time you realise it says nothing important, it's too late to stop reading it.

I have to agree, the guy at the moc must have had his mind on something else that day. Glad to hear that the tinker did the trick, and it's running well. Once you get the springs straightened out, you can enjoy some nice weather drive time.

Comment

Most of our vendors should have the bushings. Not that they are not just "rubbers". There are both inner and outer steel sleeves that must be pressed out of the frame and the spring eyes. There may be some Delrin bushing available that don't use sleeves, but the old sleeves will have to be removed. You can see both sleeves in the photo.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord, If you look real close, it looks like the bolts are welded or tacked to the shackle plates.

Comment

Good luck! I just replaced rear bushings on my Lark; actually it went fairly smooth with lots of penetrating oil before hand!

Comment

You may be right. I thought it was just a buildup of undercoating. If it is weld, there is not enough to make it impossible to remove the shackle bolts.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
            X