64 GT throttle linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 64 GT throttle linkage

Guys , I could really use a little help. My car is a 64 GT Hawk. It was born with a flight-o- matic. Over the many years I have purchased another 64 with a power shift and a 62 GT with a 4 speed. So I have a lot of parts from all 3 cars. I am using the T 10 , 4 speed transmission and the car is a standard 4 barrel carb for 64. I am having problems with my throttle linkage binding, the geometry seems to be out of whack. Form you guys with the later GT Hawks with 4 speeds could you please send me a couple pictures of the linkage from the drivers side fender showing the carb and linkage back to the back of the engine . I really appreciate any help.

Thank you, Mark Plucenik
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mark Plucenik; 03-20-2019, 02:46 PM. Reason: add picture

Mark:

You didn't say anything about the 1959-1964 Chassis Parts Manual being of any help. Does Plate 03-10 help at all?
    Bill L.
    1962 GT Hawk

Comment

I do have the book and attached the page I think your refering to. It does list the different parts , automatic vs. 4 speed. I have tried -I think- every combination of linkage parts I have without success . I was hoping seeing a picture of a working 4 speed car will show me something simple I have missed.

Thanks again, Mark

Comment

The Major difference between 2 Brl. and 4 Brl. Carb. linkage is the Rod from the Bellcrank to the Carb. goes into the Hole nearest the END of the Lever of the Two holes.

Also, on all Models and Carbs. the Rod goes on the LOWER Side of the Bellcrank Lever.

Obviously, Manual Trans. Cars do not require the Lower Throttle Pressure Rod to the Transmission.

The ONLY time I have not been able to make the Linkage reach, hook up, and operate properly, is when the Bellcrank is TWISTED. This happens when someone tries removing or Installing an Engine without removing the Bellcrank.

Sorry, these are as close up as I have:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	63V22744 R2_63e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1725751 Click image for larger version

Name:	64 R2 Jet Green4.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	1725752 Just ignore the Big Red thingy's!
        Last edited by StudeRich; 03-20-2019, 04:46 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thank you, The pictures look like it is an automatic car with the adjustable linkage rod with the internal spring for the auto trans kickdown? The standard shift car just had a solid steel rod with no adjustment features? correct? I have even used the automatic linkage piece which appeared to be the same initial length and tack welded the extension to make it inoperable . The bellcrank seems to work just fine working by itself. To add to the mystery - at the gas peddle - the short curved rod from the peddle to the bell crank. I have 2 versions. the first is the same as in the book, 1 piece with the bell crank end bent down 90 degrees connecting to the bottom of the bellcrank, secured with a carter pin. the other version connects the same to the gas peddle but turns 45 degrees at the bellcrank and has a pivot assembly on it and it bolts to the bellcrank with a 7/16" nut. This offsets the connection by about 1/2". A big part of my problem is I took all this stuff apart years ago and now trying to finish it up. I thought I took plenty of pictures but as is the case, not of what I need now.

Thanks, Mark

Comment

Mark, if you use that somewhat generic Parts Catalog Picture as a guide, and then look up the correct Parts for your Year, Model, Trans. and Carb. you will figure out which Pedal Rod Setup is used on your Car.

I believe a '64 GT gets the Swivel on the lower end.

Yes those Cars appear to have the Auto. Trans. spring loaded Carb. Rod, it is a better Rod, is more adjustable and should work fine. They probably saved a Dollar by eliminating it.

The stretch Rod is designed to go beyond wide open throttle for Overdrive or Automatic kickdown, if you like the fit of the other, Solid Rod, use it.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 03-20-2019, 06:24 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

This is the linkage from my '62 if it helps. I just replaced it all with a simple cable; it works way better.

Name:	IMG_0931.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1725753Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0932.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1725754

Comment

Name:	SuperHawk throttle linkage.jpg
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1725760Click image for larger version

ID:	1725760Click image for larger version

ID:	1725760

Not sure why this has three copies of the same picture.

This is original 64 GT R1 4 spd linkage, with springs, except for the add on cruise linkage and beaded wire.
                Dan
                Last edited by ivorydan; 03-21-2019, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Guys, thanks for the info and the help. Over this weekend I believe I can figure it all out.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ivorydan View Post
                    This is original 64 GT R1 4 spd linkage, with springs, except for the add on cruise linkage and beaded wire.
                    Dan
                    That is the same linkage as mine. But I took off the tab that opperates the OD kickdown switch, when I replaced the OD with an automatic.

Comment

Working...
                    X