Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: 2E-12 front springs

Hello again everyone,

The front springs on my '56 Transtar and completely flat.. but not to worry! We have a shop here in St. Louis that's been around since before time immemorial. St. Louis Spring
    I gave them a call, sent them the specs and picture from the parts manual..
    Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedFront Spring Data_LI2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1760176Click image for larger version

Name:	20190312_104100.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1760177

and less than 24hrs later I had a new pair of springs in the trunk.

One problem...

Name:	20190318_184313.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1760175

but wait!

Name:	20190319_183455.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1760173Click image for larger version

Name:	20190319_183436.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1760174

This is what's on the truck meow..

Which one is correct??
    Parts book shows both eyelets going up.

What they built, and what's on the truck now has one uppy and one downy..

anyone... anyone??

Just an observation: looks like they bent up springs just like what's on the truck now. The shop (parts) manual may be showing a "generic" spring diagram for various model applications......or....you have replaced the wrong springs with nice repro'd, wrong springs. Did the spring shop go with their specs or did they try and match what you had on the truck now (before) ??

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
      Just an observation: looks like they bent up springs just like what's on the truck now. The shop (parts) manual may be showing a "generic" spring diagram for various model applications......or....you have replaced the wrong springs with nice repro'd, wrong springs. Did the spring shop go with their specs or did they try and match what you had on the truck now (before) ??
      They've never seen the truck, and I didn't even pay attention to what was on there now. They perhaps used their own blueprints on file rather than anything I sent them. They guy I spoke too rattled off the specs before having even seen the page from the manual I sent them.

so, who knows..

I sure hope what I got is correct.. with their hours I have to take PTO from work to get down there

Comment

I don't have a parts book with me but I seem to recall the front springs were changed from both up to one up and one down in '50 or '51 during production of the 2R series trucks. My front springs have one up and one down (a '51) and the rear springs are both up.

Comment

Looks like they are correct for my '62 Champ...

Comment

As stated by jackb, the pictures in the parts book are generic. But if you go back and look at the specific parts listings pages, it shows a change from both up (type A) to one up and one down (type B) midway through the 2R series (as noted by my2R5).
            Skip Lackie

Comment

I am curious as to what the price was. Eaton lists the leaf spring like these for six bills a pair.

I don't think those front spring had much of a curve with everything in place - springs below are not new, but you can see the difference from the photo above.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                I am curious as to what the price was. Eaton lists the leaf spring like these for six bills a pair.
                I forget the exact amount, but it was just a tad over $300 for the pair, with 12 of the mushroom bushings incl. Had them ready in less than 24hrs.

My truck is noticeably lower in front and more so on the driver's side. Enough that I have concerns about the tires rubbing!

Comment

I'll bet you don't have the OEM 6 or 8 ply bias tires ..right ? When you say "noticeably" in the front, do you mean lower than before ?

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                    I'll bet you don't have the OEM 6 or 8 ply bias tires ..right ? When you say "noticeably" in the front, do you mean lower than before ?
                    tires are matched set of 4 modern 7.50x16. Soon to be 7.00x16 bias-ply "pie crust" Firestones. and I mean much lower than the rear, and lower still on the left front. Front springs as it sits now have 0 to slight negative bow to them

Comment

I am also in St. Louis and have used STL Spring in the past with good results. If you are not a member of SDC you might want to join or get the March issue of Turning wheels. There are over 150 vendors listed in it some of which specialize in trucks. You will find most vendors are glad to discuss such issues with you.
                      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                      1961 Hawk 4-speed
                      1967 Avanti
                      1961 Lark 2 door
                      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Working...
                      X