Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Windsheild Replacement Advise

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Body / Glass: New Windsheild Replacement Advise

    It looks like I'm going to have to replace the windshield in my Sky Hawk. Where is the best place, to buy the best quality windshield? Should I get one with a tint streak across the top edge, or just plain, clear glass? Thanks guys......

  • #2
    I used Russ Jenks at Studebaker Glass & Rubber in Idaho for all the glass & rubber in my '57 Clipper Wagon. I chose the light green factory tint all around as I'm trying to keep the all original look.
    https://studebakerglass.com/
    email: champparts@msn.com
    Bill

    Comment


    • #3
      Most Glass Suppliers have 3 Options for "Some" Windshields;

      Clear, as original

      Tinted ("Close" to original Green)

      Tinted WITH a Dark Sun Band at the Top. (Not Original)

      It is Your choice.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

      Comment


      • #4
        I used Studebaker rubber and glass as well. Russ is great to deal with. He has all of the rubber seals, and clear or tinted windshields. I went with the tinted because that was what the build sheet showed as original.

        Comment


        • #5
          I suggest going with the light overall tint. If you are of average height or more, do not get a sunband for this car.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

          SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

          Comment


          • #6
            I purchased my Speedster windshield here. The owner had a stroke but I believe they are still in business. I was very satisfied with it.
            Phillips Classic Auto Glass
            3782 So. Westwood Boulevard
            Poplar Bluff, MO 63901
            1-573-785-1927

            Also, Dick Steinkamp has a video of windshield installation. I believe it can be found on the Bob Johnstone tech site.
            I also suggest using 3M bedding compound for sealant. I don't remember the number of the product offhand but it
            probably can be found searching here. The windshield is pretty easy not so with the rear glass.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
              ... I also suggest using 3M bedding compound for sealant. I don't remember the number of the product offhand but it
              probably can be found searching here. ...
              3M TRM-8509 BEDDING & GLAZING COMPOUND was likely what you used.
              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
                I purchased my Speedster windshield here. The owner had a stroke but I believe they are still in business. I was very satisfied with it.
                Phillips Classic Auto Glass
                3782 So. Westwood Boulevard
                Poplar Bluff, MO 63901
                1-573-785-1927

                Also, Dick Steinkamp has a video of windshield installation. I believe it can be found on the Bob Johnstone tech site.
                I also suggest using 3M bedding compound for sealant. I don't remember the number of the product offhand but it
                probably can be found searching here. The windshield is pretty easy not so with the rear glass.
                http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/Windows/Steinkemp/63wsinstall.html

                64 Champ long bed V8
                55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks for the link to the video! I'm a long ways from this but bookmarking it. I DO have all my glass and rubber however, as we drove past Jenks' house on a trip out west a few years back. There is only rubber gasketing, no ROPE in the kit. So, is the rope shown in the video only used in later cars, or is it also required (and need to buy some somewhere) for my 57 Golden Hawk? And thanks for the 3M part number. I've WORKED for 3M for 30 years, and I don't know which one to use, and unless I start calling around old friends and get a sample from someone's lab, I'll probably have to order it online just like you. I can get you good deals on Scotchtape and Post-It notes from the company store though! Sigh. All the good automotive materials are only available via distributors usually, and sometimes through online distributors. Harder and harder to find good adhesives and other "chemicals" locally..... Just like mechanics/shops who can work on anything older than they are.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bsrosell View Post
                    Thanks for the link to the video! I'm a long ways from this but bookmarking it. I DO have all my glass and rubber however, as we drove past Jenks' house on a trip out west a few years back. There is only rubber gasketing, no ROPE in the kit. So, is the rope shown in the video only used in later cars, or is it also required (and need to buy some somewhere) for my 57 Golden Hawk? And thanks for the 3M part number. I've WORKED for 3M for 30 years, and I don't know which one to use, and unless I start calling around old friends and get a sample from someone's lab, I'll probably have to order it online just like you. I can get you good deals on Scotchtape and Post-It notes from the company store though! Sigh. All the good automotive materials are only available via distributors usually, and sometimes through online distributors. Harder and harder to find good adhesives and other "chemicals" locally..... Just like mechanics/shops who can work on anything older than they are.
                    The rope is considered to be a tool for installation and therefore does not come with the glass or the gasket.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

                    SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X