Oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil pump

Trying to remove oil pump. Manual mentions a special tool. Any suggestions? Can’t get at the woodruff key.

On my i6 I was able to remove four bolts, pull the housing, then grab the drive gear with a leather scrap and pull it off the shaft.

Comment

I took off the four bolts. But how to I get behind the gear to pull it off?

Comment

On 6 Cyl. Engines the "C" Clip has to be removed from the Drive Gear Shaft first.
        What Year is the Engine, and what is it you are trying to fix or replace?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Trying to replace oil pump and remove cam shaft. I have the engine on a stand with oil pan off. The gear that you guys speak of is the one inside the oil pump housing correct? There is a woodruff key inside but I can’t find the horseshoe clip.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s a 51 champ with a 6 170

Comment

The "C" Clip is on the REAR Gear Shaft.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by StudeRich; 03-18-2019, 02:42 PM.
            StudeRich

Comment

I guess finding the tool no. J2959 is impossible, correct? I can’t figure how to remove the horseshoe clip without getting the gear out.

Comment

I am sorry, I can't remember how I did it when I rebuilt my '54 Champion, that was in 1962!

But I know I Picked it out of there without a special Tool, maybe used an Ice Pick to pull it out after pushing it partly off.
                StudeRich

Comment

I was able to just get a good grip on the gear and pulled with my hands, it should not be too tight. Try rotating it a bit, there should be some play in it. if you get a little movement, try wedging with a plastic tool.

Comment

I use a 4 inch heel bar. If you are replacing the gears, tack a nut on the gear and run a bolt in forcing the gear off.

Comment

I always used a small roller head bar under the drive gear. they can be stubborn. Luck Doofus

Comment

Finally got it off by welding a nut and running a bolt through it. Thanks for all your help

Comment

Working...
                        X