• Show
Clear All

• jackb
    replied
    Chet..... I suggest you start a new thread for better recognition

Leave a comment:

• chet445
    replied
    I have real low oil pressure on my 289 that was, in theory, rebuilt by previous owner and has less than 6K miles on it. I start out with 40 lbs pressure and drop to 10 lbs after the engine warms up and does not increase pressure regardless of the speed. I thought it might be the pressure relief valve so bought a new one from SDI...no luck. Thoughts appreciated. Chet

Leave a comment:

• Jeffry Cassel
    replied
    Recently spent a very unpleasant couple of days trying to figure out why Champion had 0 oil pressure. I think maybe it was simply a leaky gasket on the pick-up tube. Suckin' air!

Leave a comment:

• Mrs K Corbin
    replied
    In the great words of the wise Homer Simpson....... "DOH!"

Leave a comment:

• Garthok
    replied
    I do appreciate all the help, Thanks Y'all! Now to make sure I didn't miss anything else important.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Glad you found the problem.
    You know it's a bit funny, but I know some of us actually TRY to be Politically Correct = be courteous to others (sometimes!), by not suggesting stupid/obvious mistakes, but in this case Dwain took a chance anyway and it worked out well!

Where is that Capt. Obvious Icon/Picture anyway?

Leave a comment:

• Garthok
    replied
    I bought a small transfer pump that I will try that with, seems like a really good idea.

Leave a comment:

• Garthok
    replied
    Well... I feel like an idiot. Dwain, you called it. I taped up the block to paint it, and forgot to re-install the pressure relief valve.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	oil releaf valve.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1725743

Leave a comment:

• leaurent
    replied
    My method
    I use a pressure vessel (old brake bleeder) to inject 2 liters of oil into the circuit, which I connect directly into the oil circuit or into the oil pump.

Name:	IMG_20190318_214105.jpg
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1725738

Name:	IMG_20190318_214141.jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1725739

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
    For future reference -

Let nature take it due course and DO NOT fill the oil pump full of ANYTHING.
    If you think about it, just like water, it finds its own level, no mater how many holes, passages, cavities it has to go thru. Oil does the same thing.
    When you fill the oil pan with oil, within less than a minute (unless you use 70w oil!), the oil pump WILL become full of...oil.

Do you really think that the first thing that the bearings see is...Vaseline. A compound that has little to no lubricating when the high loads of an engine bearing is concerned...is a good thing.

Filling the filter is a good bet to double check. ALWAYS fill your filter (in ANY engine) before installing it onto the engine.

Mike
    The six cylinder oil pump will only fill with oil from the pan via gravity if you rotate the engine/car .

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    The oil pump on a six is above the oil pan flange, so it will never fill by gravity alone. And I think even the ones on the eights are above the static oil level. My questions to Garthok: are you sure the oil pump is turning? Did you replace the oil pressure relief valve, and is it free to move on the spring? Did you remember to install the oil pickup strainer?

Maybe, when packing the oil pump with Vaseline, enough Vaseline got into the suction port to plug it against suction?

Leave a comment:

• tsenecal
    replied
    Hopefully you can get it figured out without pulling the engine. You stated that it has a couple of minutes run time, so I really hope that your assembly lube was enough to prevent any damage. If you get it figured out, and the oil pressure runs normal, you may be fine. Please post the results. It's a pain to have to start over, but since you had it out once, you can get it done again.

Leave a comment:

• Garthok
    replied
    I did the entire assembly myself, it is entirely possible I missed something in the re-assembly. I did fill the oil filter on my second attempt at priming the pump, the oil pump shaft is engaged with the camshaft and the key is in place, so the pump has to be spinning. I will check the relief valve, maybe it is stuck open or could be the source of that leak. There are several sources that recommended Vaseline to improve the pumps ability to draw up the oil on first start, if that advice is wrong, I wont do it again.

Thanks!
    Aaron
    Last edited by Garthok; 03-18-2019, 07:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Van Veghten
    replied
    For future reference -

Let nature take it due course and DO NOT fill the oil pump full of ANYTHING.
    If you think about it, just like water, it finds its own level, no mater how many holes, passages, cavities it has to go thru. Oil does the same thing.
    When you fill the oil pan with oil, within less than a minute (unless you use 70w oil!), the oil pump WILL become full of...oil.

Do you really think that the first thing that the bearings see is...Vaseline. A compound that has little to no lubricating when the high loads of an engine bearing is concerned...is a good thing.

Filling the filter is a good bet to double check. ALWAYS fill your filter (in ANY engine) before installing it onto the engine.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    Garthok, did you fill the oil filter? that is a small oil pump and if filter was empty it would some time to fill. Luck Doofus

Leave a comment:

Working...
X