Transmission fluid mix up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Transmission fluid mix up

I have a 55 commander with 105k on the odometer. Got home from a drive, checked the fluid level and it was at the low mark. I found some type F and added about 1/2 quart without checking the manual. Started to worry so checked the manual and it specifies type A. I think I changed it about 3 years ago with the o`Riley version of type A.

I have not driven it since the screw up. It also leaks a fair bit so I have to add a pint every month or so. The question is: Do I worry and drain/fill or just drive it?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks all.

It shouldn't hurt anything, but your shifts might feel a bit more agressive. If it worrys you, it's probably time to change the fluid anyway, right? Nobody ever changes it unless theres a problem.

Comment

I don't think it would hurt. Many moons ago, I installed a Fairbanks shift plate in my Olds Cutlass with the Turbo 350. The instructions specify to install Type F. No problems and pretty stiff shifts and even chirps 2nd on occasions when my lead foot is called upon.

Comment

For the last, oh, 40 years or so, type A fluid has been obsolete and the classification "A" is essentially meaningless--that is ,there are no longer any relevant specs for it. You could mix up something at home and call it type A as long as it was thin enough. Type F is a good choice and works great in my 53 Commander. The small amount that you added to you 55 will have no effect whatsoever. It is not as though you had infected it with Ebola.

Comment

Just a slight "friction modifier" additive difference in the "F" vs. the "A".
          The trans. will be fine, no harm will come to it.
          As noted, the transmission will actually be slightly more efficient with a full fill of "F" fluid.

Mike

Comment

Thanks guys, that's what I was wanting to hear. I'll try to change the oil now that the weather is finally getting better but it's not an emergency..

Comment

Originally posted by jfjepse View Post
              Thanks guys, that's what I was wanting to hear. I'll try to change the oil now that the weather is finally getting better but it's not an emergency..
              Remember that you have to drain the convertor and transmission fluid separately on these DG transmissions.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X