Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Photos of original 1961 Lark 259" spin-on oil filter mounting and hoses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jclary View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong (& I'm sure you will...) but wasn't oil filters considered an accessory up until the full flow blocks were introduced? As was the case with many accessories over the years, there always seemed to be some latitude/disparity by how things were installed on the assembly line and dealer. Then there's the chance that other accessory options affect how other's get installed. When I rebuilt the engine in my '60 Lark (over two decades ago), I had obtained all the necessary parts to install Air Conditioning. If I'm remembering correctly, I left off reinstalling the oil filter because the bracket, idler pulley, hoses, etc., made the oil filter too much trouble to deal with. So, I left it off thinking I would relocate it later. Never got around to it.
    Yes and no on your question, John. Sometimes, an oil filter was standard equipment on a certain model, but not others.

For example, the early master specifications for the entire 1962 line indicate that the Fram PB-50 partial-flow filter was standard equipment on 1962 Gran Turismo Hawks, but optional on all other models.

On the other hand, the full-flow filter was generally standard equipment across the board as soon as both engines (six and V-8) were made full-flow. There is a blank-off plate for the full flow filter to delete same on certain truck applications, but I've never seen or heard of one on a passenger car. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
      All 1961 and partial flow 1962 V-8s had the oil filter on the left (Drivers side) of the standpipe. These used 1551993 flex hoses, about 8” long, for both the filter inlet and outlet lines. 1551993 hoses are available from Studebaker International.
      That brings another question. The hard line units use a smaller line and fitting (1/8"?) for pressure and a larger line and fitting (1/4"?) for drainback; correct? The flex lines are the same 1551993 part number, so that pre-supposes the same diameter and fittings. Are the threads on the flex hose NPT thread? Aren't the threads in the head and the standpipe 1/8" NPT? Do the hoses screw directly into those without adapter fittings?

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
        That brings another question. The hard line units use a smaller line and fitting (1/8"?) for pressure and a larger line and fitting (1/4"?) for drainback; correct? The flex lines are the same 1551993 part number, so that pre-supposes the same diameter and fittings. Are the threads on the flex hose NPT thread? Aren't the threads in the head and the standpipe 1/8" NPT? Do the hoses screw directly into those without adapter fittings?

jack vines
        Fittings are required at both ends of each oil flex hose.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          Agreed, Jerry.

Here's what I am thinking on the 1961 Hawk in the brochure photograph. That was obviously an early, pilot-production car for photo and promo purposes.

Looking closely, it still has the older, cast-iron standpipe, not the "new for '61" aluminum one. They must've changed the oil filter mounting position, with the new standpipe, either immediately before "real" 1961 production commenced, or shortly thereafter.

Since the two pipes are interchangable, there would have been no need to make a notation to that effect in the parts books. Being as that brochure Hawk is a real photograph, not an artist's rendering, and it was sold to somebody, somewhere, we know there's at least one 1961 V-8 engine out there with the older setup.

I wonder how many others, if any, so escaped South Bend? BP
          It may not have "escaped South Bend" and it may not be "out there with the older setup". Perhaps it was changed at the factory or by the dealer prior to retail delivery.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            It may not have "escaped South Bend" and it may not be "out there with the older setup". Perhaps it was changed at the factory or by the dealer prior to retail delivery.
            Your above statement has some validity now that Rich confirmed his 289 fleet engine has the 'new for '61' aluminum one, though 1961 289 engines #1 &#2 are still open for confirmation.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
              Heres a pic of the '61 lark wagon I bought from the original owner. The filter is clearly on the drivers side of the fill pipe and uses rubber hoses.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]79472[/ATTACH]

My 61 Hardtop Lark with a 259 has the spin off filter on the passengers side. I will take a picture tonight.
              "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -B Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by nckid4u View Post
                My 61 Hardtop Lark with a 259 has the spin off filter on the passengers side. I will take a picture tonight.
                Just a Dealer or owner installed Filter, since we know they were not "Standard" Factory installed equipment, but "Optional".
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                X