Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

power steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeK View Post
    I'll check out the steering closely and grease everything first.
    If you don't get grease exiting both the top AND bottom of your king pins, you need to. Biggest mistake folks make is when they see it at one end they stop pumping grease. Then the king pins tighten up and steering can become a real bear in the best of circumstances.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Well I now know what area the heavy gear grease was intended. I have a '62 Hawk and assume either the Ford ATF or Dextron 5 will work on the hydraulics. Chet445

Comment

I have been working on installing a Chevy equinox EPAS unit in my Champ truck. It is not an “easy” swap, but I would say it is much less involved than installing Hydraulic power steering on a vehicle that never had power steering available.

The biggest hurdles have been finding enough room under the dash to mount the unit. Coupling the unit to the existing steering shaft. Modifying the steering column, horn, turn signals. I am still trying to figure out the horn..... Lastly, How you going to shift gears? I switched to a floor shifter.....

i have ave been taking some pictures and plan to do a write up once I am done.
        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          Yes, good clarification as far as it went, but for the purposes of this forum, we always have to remember to define our terms, which I did not do in my previous post. The '53-58 PS system is the superior Saginaw integral system where the hydraulics and the steering box share some space and the '59-66 is the easier to add on but less desirable to drive Bendix link assist where the hydraulics and steering gear box are totally separated.

So what year Hawk, Chet? You could do either, but one type would have been original option and the other would not.

jack vines
          Jack (and others) the integral Saginaw power steering as used by Studebaker and Packard (57-58) DOES NOT use the power steering fluid as a lubrication for the main box It is indeed a separate space where the sector shaft and worm gears are. Don't confuse them with later GM styles that are completely self contained.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I put Saginaw PS on my '56 GH and have column shifter. Column takes some modification as does the shift linkeage but well worth it with radial tires.

Randy Bohannon

'47 Land Cruiser
            '52 Commander Starlite Coupe
            '52 Commander HT
            '56 GH Jet Streak
            '63 GT Super Hawk
            '63 Avanti R2
            '64 Daytona Convert

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
              I put Saginaw PS on my '56 GH and have column shifter. Column takes some modification as does the shift linkeage but well worth it with radial tires.

Randy Bohannon

'47 Land Cruiser
              '52 Commander Starlite Coupe
              '52 Commander HT
              '56 GH Jet Streak
              '63 GT Super Hawk
              '63 Avanti R2
              '64 Daytona Convert
              If you peruse the factory parts manuals and get the correct parts, nothing needs to be modified. I put power steering in a 56 Commander station wagon using all factory correct parts.
              Last edited by RadioRoy; 03-13-2019, 01:09 PM.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                If you don't get grease exiting both the top AND bottom of your king pins, you need to. Biggest mistake folks make is when they see it at one end they stop pumping grease. Then the king pins tighten up and steering can become a real bear in the best of circumstances.
                I have to disagree with this as the bottom of the kingpin requires a flat cork washer-style seal and if it is there and in good shape there should NOT be any grease squeezing out when doing a grease job. It is a "seal" after all. The upper thrust bearing should always be greased until it oozes. The lower half of the king pin will be lubed by simple gravity action when you have enough grease inside the unit.

I found one side of my Avanti had grease oozing from the bottom and it took a lot of extra pumps compared to the other side to get the grease out the top. When I installed CC655 springs I replaced both flat cork seals (the one that oozed was only half a seal) and haven't had grease oozing out of the bottom since. This car is now one of the tightest steering Studes I have ever owned. BTW, I use high quality marine bottom end lube (OMC or Mercury Marine grease) in my steering box. Works like a charm.

Comment

Working...
                X