Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Electronic Distributor

Hello,
    Thinking of buying this distributor, would be interested in feedback from anyone who has fitted one,
    I fitted similar to my Oldsmobile Delta88, & was very happy with it,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/51-64-Stude...97i:rk:10:pf:0

regards, Cus
    sigpic

Originally posted by Cus63 View Post
    Hello,
    Thinking of buying this distributor, would be interested in feedback from anyone who has fitted one,
    I fitted similar to my Oldsmobile Delta88, & was very happy with it,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/51-64-Stude...97i:rk:10:pf:0

regards, Cus
    These are made-in-China and recent enough there's no idea how long they'll last. Two or three resellers are offering them at similar prices.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Go with the distributor that Dave Thibeault sells.
      American made and comes with the best customer service.
      Support SDC vendors!
      http://www.studebaker-info.org/Vendo...tbow0513b.html

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
        Go with the distributor that Dave Thibeault sells.
        American made and comes with the best customer service.
        Support SDC vendors!
        http://www.studebaker-info.org/Vendo...tbow0513b.html
        Agreed, I got mine from Dave many years ago and I'm very happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          These are made-in-China and recent enough there's no idea how long they'll last. Two or three resellers are offering them at similar prices.

jack vines
          Actually, they have "Made in America" on the listing. I think they are very similar to Dave's Distributors,

regards, Cus
          sigpic

Comment

Do not be fooled by the "Packard" Spark Plug Wires that are the ONLY thing included that IS made in U.S.A.

And NOT similar to Dave T's Mallory Unilite $369.00 Unit.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 02-25-2019, 08:12 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Received this from Dave,

Mallory has gone out of business and we can no longer get them. Since then we have worked with another supplier and now have new distributors available again that use the Pertronix Ignitor II pick up and advance mechanism. They take a GM window type distributor cap, rotor and vacuum advance unit which make replacement parts much easier to get. Distributors are made in USA. Price is $459.00.

So over double the price of the other distributor, the Petronix Igniter 2 is an Australian product, I'm sure it's good, but I think I'll take a chance on the CRt, I've run a Chinese distributor on an Oldsmobile Delta 88 for over 2 years, it hasn't missed a beat, & I haven't heard any bad feedback about them yet.

regards, Cus
              Last edited by Cus63; 02-25-2019, 09:25 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Cus -

Don't blame you. I'd give it a try also.
                One thing I WOULD do...is buy a second module...just for the fun of it..!

Mike

Comment

I have removed the Pertronix built distributor from my G Hawk. The unit failed and Pertronix initially balked at replacing it as it is a custom alteration of their distributor. They did eventually replace the Ignitor II unit which also did not work. Also the price does not include the shipping.
                  Check the price of replacing a Ignitor II unit versus the module in the distributor the OP inquires about.

Comment

FWIW, we had so many problems with the Pertronics and other offshore ignition components, we began rebuilding Delco and Prestolite distributors to use the Mopar solid state trigger. These are bulletproof and look original.

The problem is, as Dave Thibault found, the Chinese can build a shiny new aluminum distributor for half the cost of our rebuilding the Delco. And most of we car guys are like crows; attracted to the shiny bits.

We've still got a few of the rebuilt Delco and Prestolites on the shelf, but for $300, they'll probably be there a while.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Hi Cus. here is an article about the Mopar conversion. As Jack said it is bullet proof and easy to do. You just need to get a Mopar bb dizzy which are not that hard to get.
                      http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/.../atylerHEI.pdf
                      Allan
                      Allan Tyler Melbourne Australia

Comment

This article says that the unilite distributor is back in production. I wonder if Dave T. would consider having a few more Stude versions made up. This was the distributor that I had planned on using, but as stated above, Dave quit selling them because they were not available. https://www.holley.com/blog/post/mal..._distributors/

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                          This article says that the unilite distributor is back in production. I wonder if Dave T. would consider having a few more Stude versions made up. This was the distributor that I had planned on using, but as stated above, Dave quit selling them because they were not available. https://www.holley.com/blog/post/mal..._distributors/

Maybe not made in USA any more??
                          sigpic

Comment

If I am correct (and maybe I'm not) the Mallory distributor that Dave T. sold was a model #47 and the Unilite is a different animal all together. Mallory does not intend to reintroduce any parts for anything other than the Unilite. I got one of Dave's several years ago for my brothers '63 Avanti and the vacuum advance died, which I have been looking for a replacement for almost 2 years now. It looks like there will never be parts available for any of the Mallory units other than the Unilite. I've talked to folks at Holley, MSD, and Mallory with no results. If it were up to me I'd buy one of the Chinese units and send that Mallory back to the folks at Holley and tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine. I don't intend to give Holley, MSD, or Mallory another penny of my money, and I am in the market for several of the items they produce. I'll buy from their competitors. Bill

Comment

Thanks for the input Bill. If parts availability is an issue, they would not be a good choice. The Mallory that Dave was selling says unilite, but I emailed him today and he said that MSD/ Holley was not interested in making anything for Studebakers. After that, I looked up the new Unilite on Summit, and the reviews were not all that good. It seems like maybe they are not the same quality as the older units, so I will be doing something different. Maybe the original delco, with points and condensor is not that bad after all.

Comment

Working...
                              X