Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1 wire Alternator, for a 63 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bensherb
    replied
    Originally posted by Stan.Gundry View Post
    I am curious. Why do some of you prefer a 1 wire alternator over a 3 wire alternator such as the 3 wire referred to in the article by Bill Henderson in the article referenced above? I ask because that alternator is a perfect mounting fit with no shims or or other bracket changes. It just requires some easy wiring changes. Are there advantages to a 1 wire alternator that we should be aware of?
    One wire or three wire, I like the late '70s GM internal regulator alternators, they'll drop right in place of just about anything. The only advantage I know of with the one wire is they're super easy to wire in. As is the '70s GM three (in reality, two) wire one. My GT came to me with a '60s/'70s Chrysler alternator on it and a new spare in the trunk, but when I need to actually buy one, it'll be the GM. Easy bolt on, easy wiring, and no more extra regulator to clutter up the engine bay.

Leave a comment:

• Avantifan1
    replied
    Mine was changed because I went to an electronic ignition and I was having problems with the charging system and voltage regulator. My mechanic suggested simplifying the system, the new alternator is self regulating. But if you want to stay true to the original design, don't.

Leave a comment:

• Stan.Gundry
    replied
    I am curious. Why do some of you prefer a 1 wire alternator over a 3 wire alternator such as the 3 wire referred to in the article by Bill Henderson in the article referenced above? I ask because that alternator is a perfect mounting fit with no shims or or other bracket changes. It just requires some easy wiring changes. Are there advantages to a 1 wire alternator that we should be aware of?

Leave a comment:

• Waydon
    replied
    I bought a GM One wire, 105 amp alternator and it fit in stock bracket by using some spacers. Original Studie alternates was a little wider mounting point than new one. Easiest conversion there is.

Leave a comment:

• Buzzard
    replied
    I'm not trying to hijack this thread but yesterday I had a real surprise under the hood of my '48 Starlight Coupe. Tucked away down low is a 6 VOLT ALTERNATOR obviously upgraded by Gerry in Tuscon. How could I have missed that? This age thing is a real PITA.
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    Originally posted by Avantifan1 View Post
    This one ranges from $80 - 120. My original Alt. had two ears on top, the new one has a continuous flange with tapped holes on both ends with the same spacing as the original R2 Alt.
    I forgot about the two ears. I suppose if you had a mind to you could cut the center from the replacement making it into two ears , to keep them guessing! Original appearance is very important to some; I'm not one of them, but I do like replacement/upgrades to look appropriate to its surroundings. I know those original two ear units are unique and special, especially important to someone attempting a 100 point restoration, be sure to keep track of it.

Leave a comment:

• Avantifan1
    replied
    This one ranges from $80 - 120. My original Alt. had two ears on top, the new one has a continuous flange with tapped holes on both ends with the same spacing as the original R2 Alt.

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    8903N-94A Looks like your basic '75 GM alternator with a weird upper (adjustable side) mount, not significantly different from the '75 Chevelle one I've been using for decades that recently jumped from $38 to $63.

Leave a comment:

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    If you plan on going back to original, I would keep them. They are getting harder to find.

Leave a comment:

• Avantifan1
    replied
    Originally posted by Avantifan1 View Post
    I am looking for a 1 wire Alternator that will fit in my Avanti, I have seen a few chats talking about them but I haven't see a part number listed, I tried on AOAI Forum but there was little information, the 1 response I got was for a 3 wire system. If anyone has preformed this modification I would appreciate some more information
    In answer to my own question, I finally found the alternator I wanted, of course nothing ever goes right, I ordered a 63Amp and ended up with a 94Amp, it will definitely handle the electric A/C I plan on installing. It is working well, we didn't wire it to work with the amp gauge, the car already had a volt meter in it so we just wired that up instead.
    The alternator I bought is Part number 8903N-94A it is a Marine Alternator if you google it nice photo's are available, there was no modification necessary, 1 wire self exciting, worked perfect for my application. I haven't decided if I am going to keep the old distributor and alternator or put them up for sale.

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    All parts are purpose built. Since I did a lot of Drag Racing, I could not get a good tune with the Presto because of the vacuum advance. I have rebuilt a number of Prestos, preferably the 2 point R2 style. The first Chrysler conversion I did with the magnetic pickup quit on me in less than 500 miles. After I took it out and put it on the shelf, I put a Mallory YL dual point in it. Later to check and see what happened on the Chrysler unit, I found that the wire on the pickup coil broke right inside of the pickup. Freak thing but didn't help my love for the Prestos.

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    replied
    I have to say that over 20 years ago I rebuilt the Prestolite on my Avanti.......I followed the suggestion of my MoPar bud and installed bronze bushed weights, and a breaker plate that is comprised of roller bearings below the plate. Never had a problem...I oil the felt under the rotor and put a few drops of oil in the side cup oiler(sp) once per year.
    Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
    I occasionally have Prestolite alternators rebuilt locally, and unless they need the rotor rewound, they don’t cost much. Even with a rewound rotor it is about $100.00.
    And, personally, I love Prestolite distributors, also. When rebuilt with the improved bronze bushed centrifical weights they perform very well. (I remove those bulky window Delco distributors from my ‘61 Lark V-8 engines and install rebuilt Prestolites, counter to some of the thinking on this forum.)

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    replied
    Thank you for the education:-)
    Originally posted by Alan View Post
    Hawklover, The phrase Presto-junk came about years ago with the Avanti distributors. Sort of carried over to the alternators. The last Avanti alternator I tried to get rebuilt was going to cost me more than $200 and the parts to rebuild it was taking me too much time and effort to get. I bought a chrome 1 wire for $85 and never looked back.

Leave a comment:

• Studebakercenteroforegon
    replied
    I occasionally have Prestolite alternators rebuilt locally, and unless they need the rotor rewound, they don’t cost much. Even with a rewound rotor it is about $100.00.
    And, personally, I love Prestolite distributors, also. When rebuilt with the improved bronze bushed centrifical weights they perform very well. (I remove those bulky window Delco distributors from my ‘61 Lark V-8 engines and install rebuilt Prestolites, counter to some of the thinking on this forum.)

Leave a comment:

• Alan
    replied
    Hawklover, The phrase Presto-junk came about years ago with the Avanti distributors. Sort of carried over to the alternators. The last Avanti alternator I tried to get rebuilt was going to cost me more than $200 and the parts to rebuild it was taking me too much time and effort to get. I bought a chrome 1 wire for $85 and never looked back.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X