Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1 wire Alternator, for a 63 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 1 wire Alternator, for a 63 Avanti

I am looking for a 1 wire Alternator that will fit in my Avanti, I have seen a few chats talking about them but I haven't see a part number listed, I tried on AOAI Forum but there was little information, the 1 response I got was for a 3 wire system. If anyone has preformed this modification I would appreciate some more information

http://studebaker-info.org/rjtechdec...ml#Alternators

I bought the alt for the 3-wire in the following, but haven't installed yet.

http://studebaker-info.org/Tech/Bhen...orarticle1.pdf
    http://studebaker-info.org/Tech/Bhen...ndnov2012.html
    1951 Custom
    1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
    1962 Champ
    1963 Standard R1 4 speed
    1963 Avanti R1
    1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
    2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

You have to make a new bracket and do a little re-wiring. You can get a chrome 1 wire for half what they are asking to rebuild your old, low amperage presto junk. If you use the search function you will find that SBC Tom did a thread on that and has a few pics of the bracket he made. I made mine out of Stainless Steel. A one day job if you have the tools.

Comment

I do not have the information in front of me right now, but someone else may. Three or four years ago there was a detailed article in Avanti Magazine on how to do it, including a part number for the Alternator. It was an alternator from a Japanese car. It was an easy installation. If no one else comes up with the info, let me know and I will find it. I ordered the alternator from Rock Auto.
        Stan Gundry
        www.AvantiPublishing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.Gundry View Post
          I do not have the information in front of me right now, but someone else may. Three or four years ago there was a detailed article in Avanti Magazine on how to do it, including a part number for the Alternator. It was an alternator from a Japanese car. It was an easy installation. If no one else comes up with the info, let me know and I will find it. I ordered the alternator from Rock Auto.
          That would be very helpful Stan, I hope you can find it.

Comment

It's the alternator to a Toyota Tercel. Fits perfectly and you should be happy with the results. If you have any questions, get in touch with Kenny Durkee (DRrotor) on the forum.
            "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
            R.W. Emerson

Comment

Pretty simple actually.

Pick an alternator of your liking. Try Summit or Jegs for MANY to choose from. Here's one -
              https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-474011

Shows serpentine pulley, but says "V" belt in the information section. Power Master is a good brand, been around a long time.
              Verify, but 180 (opposite) mounting tabs should work best.
              Any alternator will be usable since you are going to a one wire. That is, a GM, Ford or Chrysler may be used.
              A 130 or 140 amp would be a minimum choice to me. Higher is fine, lower, not so much.

A #10 (5ft. long or shorter) or #8 (over 5ft.) gauge wire from the alternator straight to the battery or to the battery terminal on the starter.

Your "alt" light will not work with a normal 1 wire. Maybe there is a way that someone else knows of that can help with that.

Mike

Yep, had the wire size backward..!
              Thanks ben.
              Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 03-07-2019, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                Pretty simple actually.

A #8 (5ft. long or shorter) or #10 (over 5ft.) gauge wire from the alternator straight to the battery or to the battery terminal on the starter.

Mike
                I think you have your wire gauges backward. Long run = heavier wire (8ga), short run lighter wire (10ga). 8 gauge is the better choice either way.

A one wire GM alternator can be had for $63 from wal-mart https://www.walmart.com/ip/NEW-ONE-W...iABEgI4KvD_BwE or several other places, the one wire goes to battery; wireing done. Shouldn't be too tough to adapt to whatever bracket you have for old alt or gen.
                sigpic

Comment

"A 130 or 140 amp would be a minimum choice to me. Higher is fine, lower, not so much."

How many Studebakers on the road today need that output?

Comment

I have used a 60amp 1 wire delco for several years. The bracket needed some mods. I do not the wiring can handle much more and it seems to be plenty. This is in my 64 A/C Avanti. As has been mentioned, you need to get the rpm up so it will energize.
                    78 Avanti RQB 2792
                    64 Avanti R1 R5408
                    63 Avanti R1 R4551
                    63 Avanti R1 R2281
                    62 GT Hawk V15949
                    56 GH 6032504
                    56 GH 6032588
                    55 Speedster 7160047
                    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by fastjohnll View Post
                      "A 130 or 140 amp would be a minimum choice to me. Higher is fine, lower, not so much."

How many Studebakers on the road today need that output?
                      If EVERYTHING in my GT were running at the same time it couldn't draw even the 40 amps. (yes, I've measured the requirements of every electrical circuit in the car.)
                      sigpic

Comment

bensherb and others:
                        But with a badly discharged battery you could send the full output of an alternator or generator through the ammeter and its wiring that was originally designed for a maximum of 35 or 40 amps. I smell smoke!! I have spent the last 50 years trying to keep the smoke inside the wires and not letting it out.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Strasser View Post
                          bensherb and others:
                          But with a badly discharged battery you could send the full output of an alternator or generator through the ammeter and its wiring that was originally designed for a maximum of 35 or 40 amps. I smell smoke!! I have spent the last 50 years trying to keep the smoke inside the wires and not letting it out.

Ron
                          Agreed, no need for a huge Gen/Alt.
                          Sombody let the smoke out of the wires in my GT before I got it! Everything worked fine, but when I got under the dash to replace the oil gauge tube (the first time) I found ALL the wires coming through the firewall had their insulation burned away from the firewall to the dash. I built a new wiring harness, added a 12 circuit fuse box and reduced circuit load as much as possible.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Strasser View Post
                            bensherb and others:

Ron

I installed a Toyota 1-wire in my Avanti at least 4 years ago. It looked almost identical sitting beside the original. The fellow at the auto electric store who picked it didn't even ask what it was from. They are so common he recognised it right away. I had to change the pulley but other than that it fit perfectly. I managed a bit of wiring magic at the old regulator so it almost looks like it is still functional. I only needed to make a short jumper and install it on the alternator to get it functional. It goes into charging mode right away every time I start the car, no need to rev it up. I have had to jump start it a couple of times with a fully discharged battery, my bad, and it pushes the amp gauge needle hard right for a few seconds but it has never shown stress, burned up and smoking wires. And I was told it is a 60 amp output. I wouldn't go higher than that without fully rewiring the charge circuits.

Comment

Alan I have enjoyed all your posts over the years:-).....but to call the OEM alt "junk"....puzzles me? I have had to rebuild my ALE 5003 OEM unit one time since 1966, the unit puts out 40 amps, I have a/c and FM radio, I have never had an occasion where I needed more "juice". Another thing, to retrofit a new high output unit with upward of 100 amps, and not consider that the cars wiring has been on the car since '63 or '64 and it's ampacity rating, no where near what would be needed to "carry" the additional amperage. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
                              Originally posted by Alan View Post
                              You have to make a new bracket and do a little re-wiring. You can get a chrome 1 wire for half what they are asking to rebuild your old, low amperage presto junk. If you use the search function you will find that SBC Tom did a thread on that and has a few pics of the bracket he made. I made mine out of Stainless Steel. A one day job if you have the tools.

Comment

Working...
                              X