Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The water pump appears to be the cause of my overheating issue.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cool/Heat: The water pump appears to be the cause of my overheating issue.

    I got the water pump taken off the ’55 President State Sedan today. Of course I could hardly wait to see what the clearance was between the impeller and the manifold race. I used play-duh to make an impression between the two and came up with a .130 clearance. On my manifold it is .960 from the flange to the outside surface of the race. The old impeller’s paddles, on their outside edge, were .840 which gives a calculated clearance of .120. The bottom line is that appears to be way too much clearance.

    I measured the depth of the paddles on the new pump to be .900. In the process of doing this I noted that there were .015 differences between the highest and lowest paddles. I used a file and got them closer to the same depth. If the .030 thickness of the gasket was calculated in, the clearance between the impeller of the new pump and the race in the manifold would have been .090. The race itself was cleaned up some.

    I used one of the three pullers I bought today from Harbor Freight ($17 out the door) to pull the impellers on both the old pump and the new one out to .960. With the manifold’s flange cleaned and the pumps pressed against it the paddles were just touching the race. With the .030 gasket installed that should give me .030 clearance. It may have been StudeRich that suggested this methodology. I decided not to try to go to .015. I think with only a fourth of the clearance as there was before, the efficiency of the pump will be increased considerably.

    I also want to correct a previous post. I was looking at a picture of the manifold when I thought the 7/16” hole was limiting the flow to the radiator. When I got the manifold off and started looking at it I realize the upper passageway has a direct connection to the radiator when the thermostat is open. I appreciate the responses I got even though my assumption was wrong.

    There was some casting slag in the upper passageways but a 6” carbide cutter took care of that. I am looking forward to driving the car in hotter weather this year to verify that this is the fix I have been looking for. I will follow up with the results.

    Thank you,
    Charlie D.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1581.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1760082Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1584.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1760083Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1587.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1760084Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1590.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	1760085Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1594.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	1760086Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1597.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1760087

    Thank

  • #2
    I really do hope that works out for you Charlie.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

    Comment


    • #3
      If I where you I would have swapped out the new impeller with the old one. Looks to me to be a made in china piece. You can see a difference in the castings. Anything made in China in cast iron is about cast as rough as you can get them.

      Comment

      Working...
      X