Part ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Part ID

This part is mounted in the fuel line to the carb of my 53 Starliner. What is it, a pressure regulator?Click image for larger version

Name:	4D115E0D-4932-43F2-A90E-13DDFB4BCC87.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	1760065
    Last edited by tim333; 02-22-2019, 03:20 PM.

Yes, but I've never seen the need for one on a stock mechanical fuel pump.
    My 12 volt Holley electric can put out 15 PSI on 6 volts, so I slow it down with a 1 ohm resistor, and the pressure stays about 2 PSI.

Comment

I just acquired this barn find, going to do my usual drill and send the carb and fuel pump to Dave T.

Comment

Yeah, it's an aftermarket pressure regulator, and they can be useful. But it's plenty old enough to have a rubber diaphragm in it that won't stand up to alcohol fuel. It will most likely spring a leak if used with gasohol. I have seen it happen twice.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
          Yes, but I've never seen the need for one on a stock mechanical fuel pump.
          My 12 volt Holley electric can put out 15 PSI on 6 volts, so I slow it down with a 1 ohm resistor, and the pressure stays about 2 PSI.
          You haven't seen the pressure new replacement small block Chevy pumps are coming with these days then. I know a lot of guys that have had to add a regulator to their 60's Chevy after replacing their old fuel pump with a new auto parts store one. They are commonly pushing 7 to 9 lbs now, which I know is too much for an Edelbrock AFB.

I used one of the regulators pictured on my Model T , with three Holley 1V carbs. Had it turned all the way down to get pressure low enough not to over run the float valves and flood the engine.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X