Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for reproducing/replacing imitation "wood look" on 64 GT dash and door panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Suggestions for reproducing/replacing imitation "wood look" on 64 GT dash and door panels

I'm restoring a 64 GT interior. The "wood look" on the dashboard and center strip on the door panels has long faded. Has anyone found a good way to restore or replace them? At the moment I just put vinyl woodgrain shelf liner on them. But I don't think it will last long? Thanks!

Someone will undoubtedly recall a post a little while ago about someone who did a beautiful real wool complete dash for the '62-'64 GT Hawks. It looked incredibly nice but I don't recall who was doing it or how much nor how we go about procuring it. Someone please chime in.
    Cheers, Bill

Comment

Chiming in!! I believe the real wood overlays were done by Jim Kranak in Alabama, and goes on the forum here as Jimijim(not sure if spelled correctly). If I understood his comment about the overlays they were done years ago and he only had the one that he sold. Not sure if he intends to make more. If you'd like to have the finish restored/replaced, I highly recommend Terry Frye in Wisconsin who does a re-creation on your pieces. They are outstanding and he is reasonably priced. His E-mail is M547man@yahoo.com and if you can't reach him I have his phone # also. Hope this helps, Bill.

Comment

Years ago I did a Jaguar dash and had material left over , So I did the Gt Hawk dash I put in a 55 Coupe , It wasn't to difficult and It turned out nice , I got the veneer from Albert Constantine in N.Y , They have everything you need to do veneer work and more , Ed

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

I used walnut veneer with adhesive backing. 3M could learn about adhesives from those folks. Finished it with wipe-on poly (Minwax) Looks great.

Comment

Like Jeffry, I used adhesive backed cherry wood veneer on my ‘63 and on my Dad’s ‘64 Hawk. It looks amazing and is fairly inexpensive and easy to do.

Comment

I used a 3M vinyl product called Di-Noc, put on with a heat gun, using some glue on the edges. Very satisfied. Comes in a variety of woodgrains, etc. See Metro Restyling's web site: https://www.metrorestyling.com

Comment

If you want it to look really nice prime and paint a medium brown color. Then have someone who does what they call Hydro printing. It is a process where a film of what ever wood grain you would like is placed on top of a heated water tank and sprayed with a dissolver and then the part is dipped in to it and comes out with the wood grain on it. After it dries it is clear coated. You can look it up on U-tube way cool.

Comment

Found this on the studebaker vendors page
                    http://www.olddominionoyster.com/index.html

No idea of their quality.

And I want to say that there is someone who advertises in the classifieds in Turning Wheels for wood grain, may want to check there.

Comment

The Wood Grain would only be on the Passenger Side of the Dash, and not on the Gauge Cluster right.

Originally posted by jostanton1 View Post
                      I'm restoring a 64 GT interior. The "wood look" on the dashboard and center strip on the door panels has long faded. Has anyone found a good way to restore or replace them? At the moment I just put vinyl woodgrain shelf liner on them. But I don't think it will last long? Thanks!
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

A few episodes of Bitchin Rides had burl wood maple air brushed onto the dash. Dave, the owner did the art work, and it looked awesome. You might find it in a search of old programs.

Comment

Working...
                        X