59 Lark Wagon glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 59 Lark Wagon glass

Does anyone have experience in installing the fixed side glass in the 59 wagon. I have the manual but the glass is so tight I can't get it to slide into place. Of course you can't grind anything off the tempered glass because it breaks-ask me how I know?
    Regards,
    Mark

Where did you get this Glass? Original from Car, NOS, USED, NEW from Glass Shop?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Original glass but new rubber.

Comment

In that case the Glass "SHOULD" fit, if the New Seal is not too fat.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Is it a rope in? Use dish soap and windshield bones to help it along. Start at the bottom unless the book says otherwise. Warm shop helps, 2 people are better than one. Start by tipping in the bottom as far as it can go into the body, person on the outside pushes in and down while seal is pulled. prodded, prying with the bone. Slowly pull on the rope at an angle so as not to tear into the seal. Use smaller rope than the thickness of the glass, but not too small. Can it drive into Washington?

Comment

The shop manual is your friend when it comes to installing quarter window glass in a ‘54 - ‘59 D body station wagon. You must install by placing the window/weatherseal assembly about 2 inches forward of its final position, and then slide the assembly rearward. Then work the front part of the seal in place with a putty knife or window stick. A little different from other Studebaker glass installation.

Comment

Hi the side window glass is not installed with rope. You are correct the manual is your best friend and my shop is warm. No I can't drive the car to Washington but thanks for that suggestion. I believe the new rubber is a little thick which is causing me the problem. The preferred method to installation is not allowing its installation. I have the most slippery substance gel for this application which is a water based product for pulling cables through conduit.
              Regards,
              Mark

Comment

You may have to inspect to old gasket compared to the new and decide if it is close enough. Measure the depth of the channels in the rubber and compare the two. There are a few things to look at.

Put the rubber onto the glass. How does it fit? Now take just the rubber and put it onto the car. How deep is the slot for the glass in the rubber? How deep is the slot for the body in the rubber? If you don't know how to cut the glass, cut the body. You might take a 5 inch grinder to the pinch weld.

Take a marker and hold it on the edge of the flange, and draw it so a single line is on the edge of the pinch weld. take off half the width of the line with the grinder..... Don't press hard, aim any sparks away from the car, keep it moving. Use long passes. Cover the 1/4 panel and interior with at least paper. Use a paint brush and some 2 part primer to touch up the edge.

Comment

Working...
                X