Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best radial match for 6.50-16 LT tire is...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Best radial match for 6.50-16 LT tire is...?

Hi again Guys,

What is the 'best'/ recommended radial tire size match for a 6.50 - 16 LT tire? I understand that changing to a radial tire will help smooth out the ride. I've already replaced the shocks and some front end parts. Thanks for your replies.

Mark in OhioClick image for larger version

Name:	Paint job1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	1760027

Hi Mark.
    I think the size of a 6.50x16 is 6.5" width and 80% aspect ratio of 5.2"giving an overall diameter of 26.4". The metric size would be 165/80x16. I don't know if you can get them but 175/75/16 may be a better choice? I can't help but think a radial will have a smaller looking sidewall than an old crossply??? I'm not a tyre expert so hopefully someone else will be around to help
    The funniest thing about this signature is by the time you realise it says nothing important, it's too late to stop reading it.

Comment

I put 195/75/16s on my Champ truck. They are just right. Fit right on my original rims.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Just measure the Diameter of your current Tires and get the Radial that most closely matches.
        Then you will have the best "Look" and closest Speedometer reading.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Just measure the Diameter of your current Tires and get the Radial that most closely matches.
          Then you will have the best "Look" and closest Speedometer reading.
          Assuming the current tires are correct.
          The ones I put on my truck most closely matched the size/dimensions of the tires that came on the truck originally. The ones I replaced were not even close.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I ran my '57 1/2 ton Transtar on 215/85R16 for 11 years with no issues. Stock truck 16" (5x5) 1/2 ton rims were used. No clearance issues and a vastly improved ride. Steering was not an issue either except at very slow speeds making tight turns in parking lots - it still did okay, just a bit of arm twisting!

PS - It was easy to change the pinion gear in the 3 spd OD transmission to get an accurate speedo reading.
            Last edited by Mark57; 02-14-2019, 03:42 PM. Reason: Add info
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander
            Zone Coordinator
            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
              Assuming the current tires are correct.
              The ones I put on my truck most closely matched the size/dimensions of the tires that came on the truck originally. The ones I replaced were not even close.
              I am sure Mark can read the Tire size on the tires on the Truck, and see if it matches the Factory correct size in the Parts Catalog, Production Order, or Truck Brochure etc.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                I am sure Mark can read the Tire size on the tires on the Truck, and see if it matches the Factory correct size in the Parts Catalog, Production Order, or Truck Brochure etc.
                If only Mark had Parts Catalog, Production Order, or Truck Brochure etc... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
                  I ran my '57 1/2 ton Transtar on 215/85R16 for 11 years with no issues. Stock truck 16" (5x5) 1/2 ton rims were used. No clearance issues and a vastly improved ride. Steering was not an issue either except at very slow speeds making tight turns in parking lots - it still did okay, just a bit of arm twisting!
                  X2 on the 215/85-16 being a good choice. I've run them on my E12 for thirty plus years. Yes, they do increase steering effort when stopped, so just don't do that. Always begin forward or reverse motion before turning the steering wheel.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                    Yes, they do increase steering effort when stopped, so just don't do that. Always begin forward or reverse motion before turning the steering wheel.

jack vines
                    That's what my daddy taught me when I was a pup. We had a 62 Chevrolet Biscayne with a stove bolt six (the last year) and no power anything.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
                    X