Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Engine: 1554641 VCD422

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1554641 VCD422

Looking for more HELP. So far, I think that this is a 1962 259 (Canadian). She's got 2-bolt valve covers.
    Casting: 1554641
    Stamping: VCD 423

It's in my 1959 4E3-122. Does the 4E3 = 6cylinder???

Just trying to make sense of my new Stude...

THANKS!!!

Do Do Do Do (theme from twilight zone) [:0] Wow Jeff, you sure you don't have the twin to my '59 4E7! Although my truck was always a V8, the original 6E 289 engine block was cracked and was replaced with the newer block out of a '64 Hamilton built car, so it is a VC also. (259 and 289 blocks are the same) Some explanations of your 4E3-122. 4E = 1959 truck model, 3 = 245 6 cylinder engine, 122 wheelbase of your truck. Your truck would have originally had a 245 6 cylinder engine with a 4E **** number stamped on a machined pad on the side of the block. As far as I know, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, '64 was the only year that blocks were coded with letters after the V or P prefixes on V8's instead of numbers, Studebaker was making a transition in the coding before they went out of business. By the way, I painted my block black just for the look with all the finned aluminum![8D] Tim

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana '59 4E7-122 Deluxe '59 4E3-112 Deluxe Scotsman '59 Silver Hawk '57 Parkview Wagon '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
    I own time machines.....

Comment

Tim,
      Thanks for the info. (how is it that Studebaker info is SO elusive?!)

I was thinking it was a '64 engine, but didn't they go to 4 bolt valve covers in '64? Or is this a '64 block with '62 heads?!?! Got an idea if it's a 259 or a 289?

Your black engine w/ all of the AL looks great! I've wanted to try to stay as original as possible with this thing - and the right engine color for the year (silver/grey/aluminum/ish???) is what I'll probably go with... with black valve covers... Dunno... hot rod is always cooler...[8D] She ain't original, so whatev...

Anyone else with input on what the heck this engine is???

Comment

VC= 259 for Canadian prodcution

D= April
        4= 1964(calendar year of assy)
        23= 23rd day of April

All VC's built on this day will bear the same number.

Studebaker dropped 4 bolt valve covers after 1959.

3E38
        4E2
        4E28
        5E13
        7E7
        8E7
        8E12
        8E28

59 Lark
        etc

Comment

my canadian 63 gt hawk has a pc engine number

mervyn mundorf Owner
          mervyn mundorf
          63 avanti r2 4speed
          83 avanti 20th ann
          64 gt hawk r1 4speed
          and others

Comment

The first few pages of your Studebaker Parts Catalog tells you that "P" starting engine serial numbers indicate a 289 engine, so it would not match Jeff's 259 code "V", although both have the Canadian "C".

quote:Originally posted by merv

my canadian 63 gt hawk has a pc engine number mervyn mundorf Owner
            StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
            X