Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWChamp
    replied
    I agree with the guys. My 1950 Champion has 205-75-15 radials and steering very easy.
    I keep my cars and lawn mowers well lubed. My lawn tractor really shows when it needs grease by the stiffer steering.

Leave a comment:

• Ross
    replied
    Have to underline what Mike said. Have the Hankook Optimos on two cars and am stunned by the delightful steering and rather nice handling. They made a big difference on my 50 Champ. Adding a rear sway bar on that car turned it into a very fun car on back roads.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Van Veghten
    replied
    Tire selection also has a LARGE part in steering effort.
    A set of Hankook, Optimo tires WILL...make a LARGE change in lightening the steering effort.
    I put a set on my Stude, V-8 powered Lark and was VERY surprised. Almost to the point of taking them off to try a different tire to stiffen things up a little. Even with a smaller diameter steering wheel, these tires allowed a single finger steering control. I just dealt with it, till I got used to it.

A LOT cheaper and easier to try before going to all the effort, money and work of changing all the steering.

Mike

P.s. - Well lubed, properly working steering gear also helps lighten the steering effort.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    When in good condition and maintained, most lighter Champion 6 equipped Studebakers steer quite easily without Power, so really have little need.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    Originally posted by Harold mueller View Post
    I would like to put power steering on a 1950 Studebaker champ and retro fit a intregro unit off of something?
    Since you don't have ANY power steering stuff, why don't you go with electric assist?

Leave a comment:

• Harold mueller
    started a topic Steering: Steering sector upgrade

Steering sector upgrade

I would like to put power steering on a 1950 Studebaker champ and retro fit a intregro unit off of something?
Working...
X