License Plate Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clippertown View Post
    This guy did a nice job on restoring my plates: http://www.mojoartworks.com/default.html
    Thanks, I’ll give him a call. Like your Handle! I think I have the only Clipper in my town. I could be wrong, could be one sleeping somewhere in a garage. You never know!
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I'm not positive, but I think Duane Miller (Deaf Mute on the forum) has done license plate restorations. What I'd suggest is checking with the proper authorities in your state DMV and if restoring the plate is legal, then check with whomever you find that does that work. Duane is a good guy and does excellent work without having to worry about anything. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Klinger View Post
        You might want to consider purchasing the correct year vintage plates rather than restoring yours. I purchased a set from Chuck's Plates. http://www.chucksplates.com/?cp=&ss=New%20Jersey
        About $60 for a perfect set of 1957 Maine plates with the correct license tag for 57, proper numbering sequence. In Maine you can put on the YOM plates but need to carry the current year plates in case you're stopped. Has never been a problem although if I decide to scoot through the EZ Pass lane on the turnpike instead of paying the toll, how are they going to determine the tag number?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78651[/ATTACH]
        You also should check to see if the plate can be used. I found a perfect set of 1937 plates but the number was already in use. In South Dakota you call
        DMV and they will tell you if the number is usable. Other states may vary just don't spend $ until you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
          I'm not positive, but I think Duane Miller (Deaf Mute on the forum) has done license plate restorations. What I'd suggest is checking with the proper authorities in your state DMV and if restoring the plate is legal, then check with whomever you find that does that work. Duane is a good guy and does excellent work without having to worry about anything. Bill
          Thank you for refreshing my memory about Duane. I had used his service years ago for restoring a pair of 1938 plates for our fire dept. I had brain freeze and couldn’t remember his name.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Here is a link to a list of license plate restorers from the License Plate Assn's web site:
            https://www.alpca.org/faq/restorers/
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the inputs!
              Solved the license plate dilemma.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

As has been mentioned, it is illegal to alter California license plates, yet I see it done regularly on hot rods and classic cars. The tip-off is when you see a plate that is a standard issue, consecutively numbered seven-digit plate--not a vanity plate--that has been repainted in an earlier color combination. California has had a number of color combinations over the past 70 or 80 years--black on yellow, yellow on black. yellow on blue, blue on white--and they're all still accepted for use. They're just supposed to be whatever colors were current on the vehicle when it was first registered in the state. But the cops apparently don't want to be bothered with something as minor as plate colors. California also recently started re-issuing yellow on black plates, a 1950-60s color combination, as an option for the extra-cost vanity plates. Because plates don't rust away in the western U.S., they can remain in service for many decades. I would think any good body/paint shop would be able to repaint plates if they're willing to skirt a minor law.

Comment

I am not a license plate restorer but this 54 plate was completely rusted, with some dents and slightly bent. I straightened, removed the dents and rust and painted it. The first color was all black then with an old printing press roller I sprayed the off yellow on it and with one pass with the roller I was done. The farther away you get the better it looks, it will pass the ten foot inspection. I used Caterpillar Yellow from a rattle can.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00574.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	1725360

Comment

I wish NJ would adopt a YOM law, but I don’t think that will happen. NJ had some attractive various color combos in pre 1959 years.
                    My family is originally from Connecticut and I remember my Uncle Archie had the white on blue plate on his Rambler stationwagon of EZ1000. Folks would stop him on the road to try and buy his plate number. I guess you could sell your plate to someone else and transfer the number to a different owner? Anyone ever hear of this being done? Wouldn’t ever work here in NJ with the way the DMV is.

Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle

Comment

Working...
                    X