Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will 63 GT Hawk brakes fit a 55 Commander sedan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Will 63 GT Hawk brakes fit a 55 Commander sedan?

I have all the brake parts for a 63 GT Hawk with drum brakes including the backing plates. I am pretty sure these will fit my friend's 55 Commander sedan 16G8 F4. Thought I'd ask here to be sure before we jumped into this.
    Thanks.
    Cliff
    54 Commander Coupe driver
    53 Commander Hardtop project
    SE Washington State

Originally posted by cliffh View Post
    I have all the brake parts for a 63 GT Hawk with drum brakes including the backing plates. I am pretty sure these will fit my friend's 55 Commander sedan 16G8 F4. Thought I'd ask here to be sure before we jumped into this.
    Thanks.
    Cliff
    Hi, Cliff,

Yes, everything should fit.

jack vines, who's been through Dixie, WA many times.
    PackardV8

Comment

Other than the cooling fins on the Hawk drums - those brakes are essentially the same - so you probably won't notice much difference - unless you do some heavy braking on a regular basis.

Comment

Most of my 1955s are late production, but I understand early 55s had the 53-54 style brakes and engines, inferior wiring and different paint jobs along the trim lines. Will it fit? Yes. Will it be an improvement? If late production 55, then probably not.

Comment

All this Studebaker folklore! There is no such thing as ‘53 - ‘54 brakes. 1953 was the final year of the previous generation of brakes, and 1954 was the first year of the very excellent drum brakes that were actually used through 1966 models.
          The V-8 front drums were 11” diameter by 2-1/4” wide - more than adequate for a car of a Studebakers size and weight.
          So, true that the ‘63 V-8 front brakes are no different than the ‘55 V-8 front brakes - same shoe size, same wheel cylinders, etc. 1963 was the first year of self adjusting brakes on this newer style, and the 289 V-8 cars had the finned drums.

Comment

I guess your friend may gain thicker Drums if that turns out to be the case, and the Automatic adjusters which I would not write home about, of course Finned Drums as has been said, could run a bit cooler with heavy braking but also no big deal, just look much Cooler! Pun intended!

If the Hawk Drums measure smaller, why not just replace the Drums and check/replace Lining and or Hone and Kit wheel cylinders or replace with New?

Replacing Used with Used, has never worked well for me.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
              Hi, Cliff,

Yes, everything should fit.

jack vines, who's been through Dixie, WA many times.
              Jack, next time you're headed this way, let us know. We're just a few miles up the hill.
              Cliff
              SE Washington State

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies.
                Cliff
                SE Washington State

Comment

Working...
                X