No announcement yet.

rear main seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Either way you choose to install the seal a dab of sealer on the end of the seal is a good bet. I have done them the offset way for years with good results. In my case a leaky rear main has always been something else leaking(Knock on Wood). Luck Doofus, yes that's my screen name.

Comment

Yes, proper installation is the first requirement.

No, it's not a guarantee there will be no leaks if the engine has combustion blow-by and thus pressure in the crankcase pushing the oil out past the seal.

Maybe, every rebuild should have best-science cylinder wall finish; i.e. a precision honing with diamond stones. The rings seating and sealing against round and straight cylinder walls keeps combustion pressure out of the crankcase.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

You can still get excess crankcase pressure if your breather cap is plugged. I had a 6 that leaked every where. I replaced several gaskets and the leaking was just as bad, I couldn't stop it. I was just checking things one day and lifted the breather cap off and the engine pitch changed and the telltale smoke from the vent tube stopped. When I replaced the cap the engine was chugging a little bit different and the smoke from the vent pipe reappeared. At the time I wasn't sure of the cause until I looked at the breather cap and it was plugged solid. After cleaning the breather cap it was like a new engine smooth and responsive (for a small 6 that is). So often we go down the wrong road chasing shadows, I have done it many times, even experienced service people suffer from the same thing from time to time. It is not usually a great loss to them because the customer pays. I took my car back to a service shop 4 times for an aledged O2 sensor when all the time it was the fuel pressure regulator. They got head strong on that issue and would not budge until I got heavy with them and forced then to look a little deeper in to the problem, they were then so proud that they found the problem. This wasn't a Mom and Pop shop it was a large dealership.

Comment

I've given up; my last 2 V8 rebuilds developed the dreaded rear engine oil leak, not much, but still, drips suck. I suspect the fact that I trimmed that stupid arch gasket, not much but there was no way it fit, even with the engine upside down on a stand! Anyway, I now use a "diaper": 2 wadded up paper shop towels jammed between the oil pan and bell housing, which I change out every so often. I know it's hokey, but it prevents drips (not leaks) and the 259 sure purrs so I don't sweat it!

Comment

Working...
          X