Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'66 - 83 Avanti - would you choose the original AC or switch to Vintage Air?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: '66 - 83 Avanti - would you choose the original AC or switch to Vintage Air?

FWIW, I've installed Vintage Air systems in other Studes for which there were no OEM systems and repaired OEM systems where they already existed, but just never in a N-A-era Avanti.

This Avanti was originally equipped with AC, but it's been inoperable for some time. It would require a new compressor and dryer as a minimum.

Based solely on hand's-on experience, which would you choose for this SBC-engined Avanti and why?

jack vines
    PackardV8

Hi Jack,
    On my '83, I found an industrial A/C service guy who recharged the system with R-12. The original long style GM compressor works great as he got the air temp coming out of the vents, to 28 degrees Fahrenheit !
    Needless to say I left well enough alone.
    Luck,
    Bill

Comment

I have a 64 Avanti restomod that had factory air. I have recently freshened this car up and took out the factory AC and replaced it with a aftermarket unit and have modified the console to make it fit. The plus is the evap unit is less than $100, it has four outlets and will cool the passengers and the back seat as well.
      TClick image for larger version

Name:	20171014_170101_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1725158Click image for larger version

Name:	20180225_111826_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1725159
      The fan is super powerful even though it is only a 3 speed. The reason for doing this is I live in Southern California and this is black car, the original AC was never powerful enough to cool the car. This Avanti also has a Chevy engine that was installed back in the 60's.
      Bob Caser
      mrbobinc

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
        I took out the factory AC and replaced it with a aftermarket unit and have modified the console to make it fit. The plus is the evap unit is less than $100, it has four outlets and will cool the passengers and the back seat as well.
        Hi, Bob, thanks for the reply; whose unit did you choose and from whom did you buy it?

jack
        PackardV8

Comment

Purchased on Ebay from GRH Autoparts-USA, there based in Nevada. I just checked and they are still available for $82.00. I purchased the air deflectors from Nostalgic AIR in Florida.
          Bob Caser
          mrbobinc

Comment

Working...
          X