Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Coil Overs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks: Coil Overs

Does anyone know if there are coil over rear shocks avaiable for my 60 Lark project car?

Monroe made a coil assisted rear shock, that fit the Avanti, so yes
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

If you are talking a "true" coil over, where the leaf spring is removed ? Or are you looking for a "helper spring" type shock?

Why sure, true coil over shocks are available, but that's entirely up to "YOU" to come up with..!
      I've got coil over shocks in the back of my 54 Stude wagon (Conestoga).
      I've got coil over shocks both in the front and the back of my 60 Lark wagon.

The shocks at the back of my cars...is NOT the same shock.

And just because we (you and I) have 1960 Larks, because the chassis design of your car vs. my car, the likely-hood that we will use the same shock is very unlikely.

This is something that the BUILDER must design into his/her build. There is "NO", one size fits all shock.
      Then...you must understand the springs. You need to know the weight of the back of the car to be able to pick a spring rate. THEN...since most all of the spring graphs are rated for shocks that sit straight up and down. So if your shocks have any angle, you need to buy a stiffer spring. How much stiffer...there are graphs that can "approximate" what you'll need...but there is still no guarantee. You may need to try a couple of different spring rates to get exactly what you want.

Look up the shock manufacturers (Strange, QA-1, AFCO, Aldan are a few) and see what they have to offer, see what you can use. Note that the various manufacturers make different compressed length, different extended length, different adjustability (no damping adjustability, single and dual adjustability.

You have some studying to do.

Mike

P.S. - IF...you plan on using a coil over shock at the OEM mounts. You NEED to support the cross member MUCH better than just the stock rivets. I did this to my 54 wagon. First I welded every joint that I could with the body on the car. Then I made a closeout plates (cross member to frame) to add even more strength to the cross member to frame strength. SO far...my car is holding up well. On the other hand, I've heard of people putting on coil over shocks, and breaking the cross member off of the frame.
      So again, you have some studying to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
        If you are talking a "true" coil over, where the leaf spring is removed ? Or are you looking for a "helper spring" type shock?

Why sure, true coil over shocks are available, but that's entirely up to "YOU" to come up with..!
        I've got coil over shocks in the back of my 54 Stude wagon (Conestoga).
        I've got coil over shocks both in the front and the back of my 60 Lark wagon.

The shocks at the back of my cars...is NOT the same shock.

And just because we (you and I) have 1960 Larks, because the chassis design of your car vs. my car, the likely-hood that we will use the same shock is very unlikely.

This is something that the BUILDER must design into his/her build. There is "NO", one size fits all shock.
        Then...you must understand the springs. You need to know the weight of the back of the car to be able to pick a spring rate. THEN...since most all of the spring graphs are rated for shocks that sit straight up and down. So if your shocks have any angle, you need to buy a stiffer spring. How much stiffer...there are graphs that can "approximate" what you'll need...but there is still no guarantee. You may need to try a couple of different spring rates to get exactly what you want.

Look up the shock manufacturers (Strange, QA-1, AFCO, Aldan are a few) and see what they have to offer, see what you can use. Note that the various manufacturers make different compressed length, different extended length, different adjustability (no damping adjustability, single and dual adjustability.

You have some studying to do.

Mike

P.S. - IF...you plan on using a coil over shock at the OEM mounts. You NEED to support the cross member MUCH better than just the stock rivets. I did this to my 54 wagon. First I welded every joint that I could with the body on the car. Then I made a closeout plates (cross member to frame) to add even more strength to the cross member to frame strength. SO far...my car is holding up well. On the other hand, I've heard of people putting on coil over shocks, and breaking the cross member off of the frame.
        So again, you have some studying to do.
        OK well Thank You I was looking at leaving all the stock suspension in (leaf's) and adding coil over shocks. I will now need to take a harder look at it.. Again Thanks

Comment

Thank you I have an Avanti as well will do some more research

Comment

Do not rule out just buying new leafs. I have never been disappointed when replacing springs. You also get new bushings in the process.
            '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

I have dual Aldan coil-overs in the rear of my Avanti... but, I've a Jag XKE rearend, too. So, anything can be done.

Comment

I was about to say Alden can make up about anything. Just learning about these things, looking at buying an Avanti. A 3-link/Mumford might be pretty slick for an Lark chassis if keeping a live axle. I do agree, the friction in a leaf spring is not the best. Fiberglass springs are an alternative. I am looking at that for my MGB. No idea on room until I get under one. I am more concerned with the steering.

Comment

Working...
                X