Replacing glass in quarter window on a 53 Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Replacing glass in quarter window on a 53 Coupe

I wanted/needed to replace the rubber seal on the glass in side of the stainless/chrome steel? channel. It was bad enough just getting the old glass out but putting in back in has proved impossible (at least for me so far). Any old hands have a technique other than brute force to flex the channel to replace the glass and seal, I tried silicone spray with no success and last night I had the wife help and we used soapy water to try and "ease" the glass/rubber seal back in. In one sense it is almost like the rubber is too thick but I suspect it is correct and will make a good seal. I purchased the rubber from Studebaker International.

I googled/searched multiple places, evidently I am the only one to have this problem

I hope someone on this forum can point out a solution, I'd like to get this car done before I croak
    Attached Files

I think you put the rubber in the channel first, then the glass.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

There are some YouTube videos on replacing glass with the rubber seal material. I did this job on my '54 coupe vent windows after having the frames re-chromed. I also initially bought the rubber seal material from SI but found it was too thick and brittle--it cracked when folded over the edge of the glass. I then got thinner material on eBay that did the job. It didn't crack, either. One of the YouTube videos I watched had a good trick that I used--secure the rubber seal to the glass with black electrical tape, placed cross-wise over the seal and onto the glass every couple of inches. The tape stays on permanently and doesn't show because it's thin and it's black. The glass, with rubber seal taped in place, can be hammered into the channel with a rubber mallet. After the glass, seal, and channel are all fully assembled, the excess seal is trimmed away right at the edge of the channel with a utility knife or razorblade.
      Pete R
      Woodbridge, VA
      1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
      1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

Comment

It may also be necessary to utilize a cushioned clamp of some sort to push the frame together against the rubber and align the holes to rivet it.
        I accomplished this on my '53 almost ten years ago with the rubber from SI.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2078.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1725092
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Isn't the rubber seal material a true rubber channel, and not just glass setting tape?If it is just glass setting tape, use MMO (Marvel Mistry Oil) for a lube to install it. It can easily be cleaned up with soap and water afterwards.Click image for larger version

Name:	6839b1480221dde72a7466f2f8b9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	1725094
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            Isn't the rubber seal material a true rubber channel, and not just glass setting tape?
            YES! It is a molded piece.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              I think you put the rubber in the channel first, then the glass.
              I didn't have good luck trying it this way, even with silicone spray the glass did not want to slide into the groove in the rubber. I have some Marvel Mystery oil, maybe one more shot at it. My wife keeps telling me the rubber needs to be "thinned", the way it acts I am somewhat in agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete R View Post
                There are some YouTube videos on replacing glass with the rubber seal material. I did this job on my '54 coupe vent windows after having the frames re-chromed. I also initially bought the rubber seal material from SI but found it was too thick and brittle--it cracked when folded over the edge of the glass. I then got thinner material on eBay that did the job. It didn't crack, either. One of the YouTube videos I watched had a good trick that I used--secure the rubber seal to the glass with black electrical tape, placed cross-wise over the seal and onto the glass every couple of inches. The tape stays on permanently and doesn't show because it's thin and it's black. The glass, with rubber seal taped in place, can be hammered into the channel with a rubber mallet. After the glass, seal, and channel are all fully assembled, the excess seal is trimmed away right at the edge of the channel with a utility knife or razorblade.
                Sounds like you think the SI product is too thick also, you don't remember the vendor for the rubber you got do you?

Comment

On the quarter vents on my Hawk I used a black polyurethane filler adhesive. Easy to do and looks perfect.
                  Allan Tyler Melbourne Australia

Comment

I've done this, and it is a total b*tch, takes a lot of time to get the rubber cut the right length and then get the glass in. Constantly worry about how much tension the frame can take without it going south. A tough job, one of the most challenging of my build.
                    '53 Commander
                    Art Morrison chassis
                    LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Hi Marv, this is completely from left field. Rubber SHRINKS when heated and as we all know metal exspands so if you are allowed to use the kitchen oven or some other form of radiating heat why not give it a try, maybe have a practice with some of the old materials first. I’ve seen chilled axles and warmed bearings come together this way. Cheers Harryhawk

Comment

Originally posted by Harryhawk View Post
                        Hi Marv, this is completely from left field. Rubber SHRINKS when heated and as we all know metal exspands so if you are allowed to use the kitchen oven or some other form of radiating heat why not give it a try, maybe have a practice with some of the old materials first. I’ve seen chilled axles and warmed bearings come together this way. Cheers Harryhawk
                        Maybe I'll heat up some water and throw the gasket in the water...the only downside (assuming the rubber returns to its org shape once it cools)is I probably can't move fast enough

Comment

In the event someone else is having this problem, here is some info that I sent to Studebaker Intnl a couple of days ago that shows the difference in the profile of the gasket. Sorry that the one picture is sideways. They won't be able to get back to me until next week.

That's ok, I have at least 10K other processes that need to be done to the car before it's ready to drive on it's own
                          Attached Files

Comment

I have a 53 coupe I did both side glass and both wing glass with a Bicycle inner tube, the SI set was too thick

Comment

There is a hardware store near me (Rockler hardware)that carries this for sliding glass doors. Also Steele Rubber carries it. Not a problem.
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948

Comment

Working...
                              X