Lark Underhood Light Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Lark Underhood Light Location

Does anyone have a good picture or description of where the underhood light for a 1963 Lark gets attached? AC-3392. There is no switch, but does have a fuse attached. I'm guessing that it is wired directly to the battery and disconnected when not in use. I can't imagine attaching it to the ignition switch, or the light would be on whenever the car was turned on. Does anyone know? Thank you.
    Justin

Doesn't the installation template show where to install it? If you do not have the template get one.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I could be wrong but many of the underhood lights of the day contained a mercury switch tha would turn on in a particular angle. I would suggest wiring it up temporarily & see if that's the case. If you cannot find the template then install it where you see fit.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Wiring diagram in 1959-63 Shop Manual shows light connected through a 4 amp fuse to battery terminal of starter solenoid. No switch is shown. Possibly there is a mercury switch built into lamp assembly.

Comment

I'll hook it up and see if I can get it to turn on at a certain angle. The mercury switch seems to make sense. No, I do not have a template.

Comment

I have not seen one in a while but can picture it along the rear hood brace, left or right of center - but not too far outboard either. You don't want it to smack down on something when you close it........ And Yes, they have a mercury switch.

Comment

Thank you everyone. 3 kind people sent me information and pictures on where to mount it. Great group here.

Comment

there is no switch on the OEM part. I believe it is wired through the headlight switch much like the OEM trunk lite. You would only need the light when dark and lights ON anyway..

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                  there is no switch on the OEM part. I believe it is wired through the headlight switch much like the OEM trunk lite. You would only need the light when dark and lights ON anyway..
                  Check your shop manual. Wiring diagram shows it wired to battery terminal of starter solenoid. Lamp assembly has a built in mercury switch.

Comment

Working...
                  X