Headliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Headliner

I'm getting ready to install the headliner in my '63 Hawk. I have removed the windshield garnish molding and the rear glass so I can access the rear roof flange. The question is, what adhesive should be used to glue the 'liner to the windshield gasket and the roof flange. Thanks in advance... As always, I appreciate the wisdom I get from this forum.

bhapner

The Headliner glues to the Window opening metal under the Rubber seal, not the Rubber on both the Windshield and the Rear Window.

Usually you can find the proper type of adhesive for any use on the 3M's shelf at a Automotive Paint Store.
    But I don't see why any contact type cement would not work.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Weldwood vinyl and Landau top adhesive is the best you can buy. Sold at most professional automotive upholstery suppliers.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I suggest you remove the front windscreen and gasket as you have with the rear this will give you access to glue the headliner to the flanges and use the excess to pull tight and into position, I replaced the one in my 62 GT and it one of the easier and more satisfying things I did during the resto. Cheers Harryhawk

Comment

Bob.listen to Harryhawk. been there done that. if you persist in leaving windshield in place use stainless wire to tie front bow to header panel,takes strain off headliner and glue. Luck Doofus

Comment

If you need an extra set of hands, we can be available.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

The stainless wire is an excellent idea, as I have seen surface rust on everything under headliners, and it will stain the material. If you are handy with a sewing machine, a strip of velcro along the edge, and the corresponding strip glued along the header also works.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Great tip doofus. I did similar using plastic cable ties, they will hold the liner in perfect position and tension while you go about your gluing. Cheers Harryhawk

Comment

Doofus is a lot smarter than he looks.
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

I used three small turnbuckles attached to front bow and header easy to tighten then tucked headliner under windshield rubber front is easier as the sunvisor mounts help hold headliner in place

Comment

Thanks Howard,,,,,I guess. Doofus

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. The stainless steel wire idea sounds good. I really hate to remove the windshield. Howard, I'll let you know if I need extra hands.

Comment

Bob,someone will need to have a razor sharp knife handy to slit the cloth tubes the top bows go thru,they are usually to long and in order to get the headliner to hang right on the sides. keep it centered!! if your windshield rubber is still supple i would glue to the header and let rubber hide it. with wire holding top bow tension glue only has to hold liner in place. Good Luck, Doofus

Comment

Mine had to be pulled back to access the stainless strip across the top.....had it done by a professional....he did not have to remove the front glass....turned our perfect!....don't ask me how he did it.
                            Lou Van Anne
                            62 Champ
                            64 R2 GT Hawk
                            79 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
                            X