X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time will tell on this one! Hope the cure is permanent tho. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      Call me skeptical. In normal operation, such as at idle, the four barrel is only operating on two. How can this cause a problem with just two cylinders? IMO - Either other things contributed to the problem or the initial description was incorrect.
      I am assuming that the carb was changed without changing the intake manifold. If the manifold was also changed, I still blame the manifold.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
        If we're talking about my experience with the dual WCFB's on the 331 Caddy engine, I can assure you the problem was real. The engine had good compression in all cylinders, there were no flat cam lobes, the firing order was correct, idle vacuum was decent showing no vacuum leaks and I even replaced the distributor thinking there had to be a problem with it. The problem was not only at idle, but across the complete power range. I finally had enough and told the car owner that the problem has to be in the front carburetor, and I wanted to send the carbs to Daytona Carburetor for reconditioning. I normally rebuild WCFB's myself, but I wasn't sure what the problem was so the carbs were sent out. When they were returned to me and installed on the engine, the engine finally ran like it should. The engine originally shook so bad that it broke a motor mount before the carb repairs were done. Bud
        The original poster was describing a single carb set up. I could possibly see where dual four barrels could affect two cylinders.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
        X