Ford AOD Trans Swap for a GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Ford AOD Trans Swap for a GT

Anyone ever done a trans swap with a ford AOD onto a 259? I know there’s a conversion kit available for a 700R4 but would prefer an AOD since they are more readily available and less expensive.

Originally posted by 62 GT Guy View Post
    Anyone ever done a trans swap with a ford AOD onto a 259? I know there’s a conversion kit available for a 700R4 but would prefer an AOD since they are more readily available and less expensive.
    You mention "GT" and "259". Has the GT had an engine swap or was it built for foreign use? It does not matter relative to your question.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The 700R4 is a General Motors 4 speed automatic AOD transmission. Conversion kits are fairly expensive. I do not know of any Ford conversion kits being marketed.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Make it easy on yourself, go here, http://www.cpttransmission.com/ get one of their transmissions, get a GM trans. adapter, no mixen-matchen-machining required, all a simple bolt in.

The T-200-4R is a better trans. than the T-700-R4 is, that's why GM made the change, they learned from their mistakes..! While I don't know much about the Ford AOD's, the GM versions are just as capable (if not more). Art Carr (web site above) tests all of his transmissions before they leave his shop, so there is no surprises. He has three different levels of power capabilities to choose from.

Mike

Comment

My trans guy used to call them Ford DOA's.

Comment

Originally posted by 62 GT Guy View Post
            From what I read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AOD_transmission the AOD (non-electronic control) was last used in 1993 and electric derivatives don't use many similar parts. So, the newest true AOD's (non-electronic control) are at least 25 years old. That is on par with the 700R4 that also lacked electronic control. With GM using the 700R4 in many applications are they really any less available than a 25 year old AOD?

BTW, both the 700R4 and the AOD seem to have the TV Cable that confounds many. The 700R4 also has a 3.06 1st gear as opposed to the AOD 2.40. Some my hate that and others may like it. I have a 700R4 with 3.07 rear gears and I like it.
            Last edited by wittsend; 01-15-2019, 01:09 PM.
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
              My trans guy used to call them Ford DOA's.
              For a good reason, the AOD is a turd, very expensive to overhaul.

It was introduced in 1980 Passenger Cars, 1981 F100/150 2WD & E100/250 300/302.

People drove the vehicles in overdrive in heavy stop and go traffic.

The constant shifting up/down in/out of overdrive fried the AOD's guts and it didn't take too long for this to occur.

People also towed in overdrive, same thing occurred, the trans fried its guts.

Heat is the mortal enemy of the AOD, install the largest external trans cooler you can find and stay OUT of overdrive in heavy traffic!
              Last edited by WinM1895; 01-15-2019, 01:42 PM.

Comment

One drawback to the 200-4R over the 700-R4/4L60 is that the 200 is 3.062" shorter than the 700, so you'll end up with a drive shaft just under 60" long. That is a LONG shaft, most places, if they'll make one that long, will use 4"-4.5" tube; much larger than the stock 2.75" tube; which will make tunnel clearance tight. Of course you could backdate it and change to the early C/K two piece shaft.

When I swapped from the stock overdrive three speed, in my GT, to a 4L60 I had to lengthen the drive shaft 3" to 55" and went up to 3" tube. Most places recomend at least 3.5" tube at 55".

Depending on which Ford AOD you use it will be 3/8" shorter or 7/16" longer than the 700R4/4L60.

Making an adapter plate is not that tough if you have the tools and measure well. Remember, you will also need an adapter for the flex plate.

Comment

II don't know the last time anyone was in a yard looking for either a 200r4 or a 700r4 but they are not exactly falling out of trees either, its been what? ten to fifteen years since a 200 or 700 r4 were put in cars new?
                  Kenneth Smolecki

Comment

While you're throwing money at it and looking for a Ford transmission, try this;

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
                      While you're throwing money at it and looking for a Ford transmission, try this;
                      https://www.advanceadapters.com/tech...-transmission/
                      According to Advance Adapters, that trans is 7" shorter than the 700r4. "The 6R80 measures 23.75". That would put the drive shaft in the 62" area. The final drive ratio is also no different at .069/1, than the GM transmissions 700r4 at .070/1 and 2004r at .067/1. It does have a considerably lower first gear though, in fact, it's third gear is the same as the second gear in the GM units, then it has one extra gear to get ot the same final drive ratio. With my 4L60 (same as the 700r4), it shifts into second before you complete a right hand turn when pulling out from a stop, (about 10 mph) unless you stomp on it ; I don't think any lower a first gear is of any value. It might offer smoother shifts with closer ratios and more gears, but will also likely be shifting up and down much more often.

Comment

There is such a thing as having too many gears in a transmission. Multi-gear transmissions are better-suited to Euro-style engines withs peaky torque curves, not to the Stude 289 with a broad torque curve. And I don't think that there wil ever be a real scarcity of 700R4's or 200 4R's for a few decades, yet. But having alternates to the GM conversion is never a bad idea. What sort of rep does the Mopar 4-speed automatic have? One of the potential deal-breakers with electronically-controlled transmissions is the lack of a speedometer cable drive.
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

All the overdrive auto have a much better starting ratios than a second gear start Flightomatic most of the overdrive autos were factory equipped with rear axle ratios way lower like 273 or similar. Having had both Ford and GM overdrive autos in rear wheel applications with ratios of (2.73 3.08 3.55 3.73 GM transmissions) (3.08 3.55 4.11 Ford)/ I preferred the Ford Mercury Lincoln combination Verses the Olds Chevy systems

Comment

Working...
                          X