Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Painting over pitted chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting over pitted chrome

I'm wimping out on my 55 President, gonna paint the grill body color. ($$$$$) I've sanded the "pits" down smooth, can fill them with primer or body putty, but feel there should be something in the pits to stop corrosion. Shellac, POR? what do the pros use?

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars4.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '55 President State Sedan (Under Construction) 116 hrs.
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

The pros I have seen paint pot-metal trim removed the chrome, sometimes by sandblasting, and then filled and smoothed it just like sheetmetal.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
    PackardV8

Comment

I painted some really horrible pot metal pretty much the way you describe. Sand, body filler, sand, prime and paint. Came out real nice and still fine after 2 years.

Steve Hudson
      The Dalles, Oregon
      1937 Dictator Flatback sedan (for sale)
      1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
      1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
      1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
      1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
      1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
      The Dalles, Oregon
      1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
      1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
      1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

It won't corrode at all if it is well sealed up. you only have to worry if there are holes all the way through. Of more concern would be roughing up the plating enough for the paint not to peel off.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I'm knocking off the roughness (and the smoothness of the chrome) with a 90 deg. grinder and a 80 grit sanding disc. It seems to work well, taking off the high spots and just buffing the good surface. I started on a really bad turn signal housing, about half of the surface is pits. I wondered if I should clean out the pits with a pinpoint air grinder, or just fill them with filler. I am going to have to do the inside corners with a die grinder, the 4 1/2 disc won't fit there.

Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

Yes, Tom- be sure to clean out any pits, like cleaning out a cavity in a tooth; just grind or drill it out. Also be sure to get all the chrome off. I recommend epoxy primer over the bare surface before anything else, then fill and finish as any other metal. Should last a long time after that.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Get ALL the chrome off? Holy Cow, Have you looked lately at a 55 grill? If the chrome is sound (between the pits) can't I just scuff it so primer will bond?

Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe
              '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
              All Indiana built cars

Comment

I would think so, Tom. Studebaker even painted chrome on some low trim cars, and it held up 50 years.

Matthew Burnette
                '59 Scotsman
                '63 Daytona
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Scuff the chrome really good and use a metal etching primer.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Got it. Many thanks, At some point in the future all this will appear in my signature.

Tom Bredehoft
                    '53 Commander Coupe
                    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                    All Indiana built cars

Comment

all of the advice or just the results? If I could, I'd be helping you - you know I've got ideas of just how that grille should look!

--george

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B

Get ALL the chrome off? Holy Cow, Have you looked lately at a 55 grill? If the chrome is sound (between the pits) can't I just scuff it so primer will bond?
                        I guess I should clarify what I'm thinking[:I]

It's not necessary to get ALL the chrome off... I was just thinking about any peeling, blistered, or corroded areas, including those little pimples that develop. Any solid, unaffected areas can just be roughed up thoroughly and primed over.

It is critical to get any corrosion completely out, or it WILL pop through fairly quickly.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Before you prime, go to your local car paint store and by a rattle can
                          of BULLDOG ADHESION PROMOTER. This product makes paint stick
                          to chrome, plastic, galvanized metal, fiberglas and aluminum. Dries in 5-10 minutes.
                          IT twas recommended to me as a first coating after surface prep by a car
                          painting expert and it worked great for me to get good adhesion on a bumper
                          repair.

...Dick Curtis
                          Santa Barbara,CA

1950 Champion Starlight
                          1963 Hawk GT
                          Santa Barbara
                          CA

The 1950 Champion Starlight
                          Santa Barbara
                          CA

Comment

BULLDOG ADHESION PROMOTER.

Thanks, Dick, I'd not heard of it before, and Bob, that's what I thought. I don't have any blistering, just pits.

George, your ideas are welcome. Results will be shown.

Tom Bredehoft
                            '53 Commander Coupe
                            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                            All Indiana built cars

Comment

I have used epoxy from Home Depot. It's the stinky kind that comes in a double syringe. It doesn't take much material to fill those pits, so I would use something better than bondo.

Comment

Working...
                              X