Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Shift rod adjusting gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: Shift rod adjusting gauge

Looking for a transmission shift rod adjusting gauge J-1308. Or does anyone have another way to adjust the shift rods?

On some models you can take an Allen wrench of the appropriate size and slide it into the holes to lock the shifter in neutral position.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I always use a 'helper' and have them shift the car while I inspect how all of the rods are moving. I look for sloppy 'Swivels' , missing washers, wave washers, wear in the arms, etc. Then start with one end and replace as necessary. I stock most of the swivels, rods and hardware, so having them ready also helps. You can ID what you need, before you take it apart. Adjustments come right back, or close to where they should be. Adjust until they all look good and work good. What vehicle/transmission are you working on?

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
        On some models you can take an Allen wrench of the appropriate size and slide it into the holes to lock the shifter in neutral position.
        Yep, I use a 5mm on my 52.
        3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

I don't believe there is an aligning hole for the truck shift rod swivel box...is there ?? I just installed a replacement T86 in my 2R6 and am wondering if the shift rods will need adjustment, and /or the clutch pedal ???

Comment

I made a copy of the J-1308 tool. I could make some more if the demand is there.

JT

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
              I don't believe there is an aligning hole for the truck shift rod swivel box...is there ?? I just installed a replacement T86 in my 2R6 and am wondering if the shift rods will need adjustment, and /or the clutch pedal ???
              Yes, it's done by removing the little round plug/cover in the lower shift lever bracket. I ground down a piece of square wooden dowel to insert in that box to hold the levers in place.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

I recently came across an original J-1308 transmission shift rod adjusting tool. I had a machinist friend make up a couple and have them for sale for $30 dollars each plus shipping. This just lets me recover my cost.
                See attached picture. The original is on the left and reproduction on the right.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by ellagee; 01-18-2019, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Have any of these tools left? I need to adjust mine.
                  Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X