Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Flasher for LED tail lights 1956 commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Flasher for LED tail lights 1956 commander

Fellas--- I bought a flasher from SuperbrightLEDs, and installed it
    Lights go on----no turn signal function....old and new flasher are (2) pin
    "bulbs were 2 element---so are the new LED lights

new flasher was P/N # FL2-RED-K

any suggestions to where I can recover turn signal ??

I found that the relays without a ground wire were problematic in cars I converted to LED's. Switching to the 2-pin with ground wire eliminated my problems.

This relay also doesn't care which way the current flows or if there is a mixture of LED's and regular bulbs or all LED bulbs.

https://www.amazon.com/EF32RLNP-Elec...np+led+flasher

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 12-17-2018, 08:47 AM.

Comment

63looks59
      Did you check as to which of the 2 pins on the Flasher Socket is the 12 volts and which goes to the directional lights.
      the other questions are what happened with just the original flasher installed?
      Did you try leaving a standard bulb in the front directional lights and Leds in the rear?
      On My Avanti I left the front regular bulbs and a standard flasher. Result the directionals flash at a faster rate then originally. Other people have added a resistor into the circuit to increase the current draw.
      Ron

Comment

I used this flasher when I swapped all my lights to LEDs. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pin-12V-E...kAAOSw0TBb~4Kw I bought 5 of them, one didn't work. They now cost over 4 times what they were then. They work fine for me.
        sigpic

Comment

the problem is the actual indicator light, it is not separated from the individual circuits, for lack of a better description. Because the LED's require very low voltage they are picking up this back feed and the flasher doesn't work. To solve the problem you need to install load resistors at each light, this is a very simple operation and these resistors can be bought on Amazon for about 5.00 for a package that will do the complete car, I don't have the actual value of the resistor at hand but they come with a nice gold heat sink case and have mounting tabs. Just don't put them on a surface that is plastic or where paint is visible on the other side because they get hot.

Comment

Seems like a lot of effort just to gain the dubious benefit of LED bulbs in the corners of the car.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

"Dubious benefit"...that's funny..!

If near instantaneous "on" and brighter thAn incandescent bulbs is dubious..!? Wow...

Mike

Comment

So the incandescent bulbs take 1/10 of a second longer to come up to full brightness? They also take longer to go fully dark, so it's a wash, there. And some of the LED's sold for automotive use are very directional, which doesn't necessarily play nice with all socket/lens layouts. And if you want brighter, there are some halogen 1157's, IIRC.

Comment

The point of the much quicker (shorter) rise and fall times of the LED bulbs is that they catch the attention of the other drivers much better. Plus, they are brighter than incandescent bulbs. Avantis have poor taillamps, so need all the help they can get.
                  -Dwight

Comment

You would probably get more bang for your buck by modifying the lamp housing to take two bulbs.

Comment

This has been discussed here too many times. My experience with the TMI EL-98 flasher is about 15 years in several vehicles, no problems. This unit will flash a load of 20 milliamps to 20 amps, any combination of LED and incandescent bulbs, at 90 flashes per minute.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Pin-CF14-...YAAOSw44BYbGPh

Even a minor accident will cost a lot more than a good electronic flasher and a handful of top quality LED bulbs. The instant-on flash of the LED definitely attracts your attention better than the slower reaction of the incandescent bulb.

I modified my tail lights, as suggested above, but with sockets for dual element bulbs. I replaced the rusty old sockets with snap-in plastic sockets from some Mazda tail lights, and cut down the reflectors to fit into the Studebaker housings. The inboard bulbs are tail/brake and the outboard bulbs are tail/turn signal. They are quite visible in bright sunlight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail light housing with new sockets.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1724686 Click image for larger version

Name:	Before and after with reflectors.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1724687 Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail lights.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1724688
                      Last edited by 48skyliner; 12-18-2018, 11:42 PM.
                      Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                      See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Grounded flasher worked the ground creates more current flow which lessens the voltage
                        at the LED lights--- the LEDs like Low volts---without the ground voltage creeps up

Comment

Glad it worked. Thanks for the feedback. Bob

Comment

Working...
                          X