Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Parts Identification......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Parts Identification......

Click image for larger version

Name:	AvantiRadio1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1759850Can anyone identify this? The Antenna connects to it, one cable goes to the radio, the second goes nowhere....79 Avanti II. I'm thinking this has been the source of my static problems.....
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Looks like a noise device. One side should be ANT> IN one side goes >OUT, to the radio. If that has a regular looking wire coming out of it it goes to ground, or it won't work.

Comment

Could be an antenna booster. Same deal, one cable from antenna, one to radio, but wire goes to power.
      sigpic

Comment

A long time ago I saw a device that looked exactly like that which allowed you to connect your car radio antenna to a CB radio so both radios could work off of the one antenna.

Comment

I agree with graylark, It sure looks like the adapters used in the 70's and 80's to allow the use of a CB radio on the existing auto radio antenna. Usually noise suppressors would be used on the 12 volt input lead to the radio and not the antenna lead. Bud

Comment

In the world of RF its taboo to leave an open port on a device such as a combiner like you have unless you terminate it with a dummy load. You don't need it, remove it and plug the antenna directly into the radio and see if it helps.

Comment

I remember those radio/CB adaptors didn't work well for either the car's radio or the CB as they reduced the signal to the radio and the CB radio didn't work too well either being loaded into an auto radio antenna. Graylark is right again, take that thing out of the antenna circuit and the auto radio will work much better. Bud

Comment

Thanks everyone....sounds like we may have a solution here. I'll try it tomorrow and post the results.
                Lou Van Anne
                62 Champ
                64 R2 GT Hawk
                79 Avanti II

Comment

The writing on it looks perfectly clear. What does it say? google

Comment

All it says is "Tune" and apparently a part number.....
                    Originally posted by (S) View Post
                    The writing on it looks perfectly clear. What does it say? google
                    Lou Van Anne
                    62 Champ
                    64 R2 GT Hawk
                    79 Avanti II

Comment

If your part has an SO239 connector which is a screw on type used for transmitting type antennas, then it is an antenna splitter and should be removed from the antenna circuit to your radio. Bud

Comment

PROBLEM SOLVED: I removed the antenna splitter, put a new connector on the antenna cable and no more static! Finally!
                        Lou Van Anne
                        62 Champ
                        64 R2 GT Hawk
                        79 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
                        X