Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Cast Aluninum Valve Cover Clearance with A/C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Cast Aluninum Valve Cover Clearance with A/C

Question regarding a 1962 GT Hawk 289 cid V-8 equipped with factory air:

Does a cast aluminum aftermarket right side valve cover fit under the edge of a factory A/C compressor? Do you have to move/remove the compressor to get the valve cover off/on? The castings look a little higher than the stamped factory valve covers and I wonder if they will fit.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3346.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1759848
    Bill L.
    1962 GT Hawk

I have a ‘63 GT also with factory A/C. In my experience it’s damn near impossible to get that side valve cover off without removing the compressor. Since my A/C hasn’t worked in years, I can disconnect the hoses connected to the compressor and take it off entirely instead of just moving it out of the way.
    I’m curious for answers about your other question regarding the aluminum valve cover fit because I’d like to use them on mine too. Hope others chime in.

Comment

I agree with ColoradoHawk. Even with stock covers on my '62 you can't get the cover off without moving the giant stock compressor out of the way. I can't imagine a cast cover being any different.
      sigpic

Comment

Any chance you could just install a spacer under the compressor to raise it up a little for clearance. Pretty sure there is enough adjustment to not have to replace the belt.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
          Any chance you could just install a spacer under the compressor to raise it up a little for clearance. Pretty sure there is enough adjustment to not have to replace the belt.
          Good idea for a spacer! At least others agree that the clearance is probably too tight for a cast aluminum valve cover with the factory air compressor. Maybe another approach is to grind off the corner of the aluminum casting a little bit?

The reason for my question in the first place is that I'd like to install the finned cast aluminum valve covers but I had a bear of a time just removing and replacing my factory stamped right cover to paint it so I doubted the cast covers could be installed. Then I saw a green right-hand drive '63 GT from Australia on the web and noticed that the car appeared to have the cast aluminum valve covers and a factory air compressor. I looked at my car and didn't think there was enough room so I appealed to the Forum to get an opinion.

Thanks for the inputs, gentlemen!
          Bill L.
          1962 GT Hawk

Comment

If it's a REAL concern, you can replace the compressor with a much more efficient, and smaller, Sanden type and have no compressor clearance issues. While you're at it you can replace the hoses and reroute them so they aren't in the way either. A compressor and hoses costs less than the aluminum rocker covers.

I haven't installed the hoses yet in these pics, but you can see how much cover clearance there is here.

Name:	IMG_0886.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1724663Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0860.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1724664
            sigpic

Comment

Name:	prd_15389.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1724665The Sanden 7176 is even smaller than the 508 series, and works as well. It's a great compressor to add AC to a supercharged car too.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks again, gents, for the Sanden idea, but I'm trying to keep everything "close" to factory -- even though the cast aluminum valve covers are not. My factory A/C has been converted to R-134a and blows COLD!
                Bill L.
                1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
                X