Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

My weird 1963 T-4 Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: My weird 1963 T-4 Champ

My newly acquired Champ continues to puzzle me. Appearance wise almost a 10! Absolutely no evidence of any body work or rust. Beautiful paint. Runs great. However, mechanically there appears to be a lot of "Southern Engineering". Washer nozzles but no pump or reservoir, antenna but no radio, steering wheel 180 degrees off, overdrive but no kickdown switch and no connection between solenoid and governor. Much extra wiring and 2 switches added under dash which I have as yet to figure what they do. When purchased very hard to start because whoever last worked on carburetor should never again be allowed near a carb. Choke linkage misassembled and choke butterfly binding. I rebuilt carb and now truck starts instantly and runs great.
    My main question today involves fuel pump. Original pump has been removed and an electric pump has been added. Pump is mounted on inner fender close to where original pump should be and is wired so that it is always on when ignition is on. I know this is unsafe. If truck is in a front end accident there is the possibility of gasoline being pumped out. Also, I find the tick, tick, tick sound to be annoying. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of eliminating electric pump and going back stock with mechanical pump.

The decision on electric vs mechanical I'll let others discuss but all modern cars have an emergency shutoff that stops power to the pump in a collision or roll over. They are easily adaptable to your truck. Just cruise Youtube for Emergency fuel shutoff and you'll find plenty of info. It seems Ford units are in many of them and they are inexpensive new and used.

As far as the ticking, I run low restriction mufflers so I only hear it at startup so I know it's running.

Bob

Comment

Sounds like someone did mechanical work and left the visuals alone. A production order will give you some info as to how the truck was originally equipped, but dealers always added items to vehicles as well. Other times there are visual clues. It was clear that my 7E5 originally had and OD tranny by the oil line the front u-joints/rear tranny flung up onto the bottom of the cab...

IIRC, most of those electric pumps are pushers and pullers so being closest to the tank makes them the most efficient. Easy enough to switch back over to the original style mechanical pump - you could always use that electric as a priming pump - just have to put it on a separate switch (or it might be on of those mystery switches under the dash).

If your truck is a E5, Studebaker International had NOS front wiring harnesses for less than $100 some months back. Would take a little work, but they can be modified to work on an E7.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

I have a flothru electric pump on my Champ just for when it set for a couple
        of weeks. If you go to a manual pump get a Carter and not an Air Tex.(junk)

Comment

Congratulations! You're very fortunate; that's probably the least weird Champ seen lately. Beautiful cosmetics, mostly original mechanics and just a very few little details to be sorted out.

Stick around here to read of some really unbelievable modifications. I saw one at a swap meet this summer which had a BrandX front clip tack-welded to the frame. Probably someone told him that was the CASO way to get IFS, disc brakes and PS, so he cut off the Champ frame without measuring the donor frame width or track width. Also, evidently, he'd forgotten when cutting off the Champ frame, there went body mounting points, radiator core support and all that necessary stuff. The front sheet metal was just baling-wired in place.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by paul shuffleburg View Post
            I have a flothru electric pump on my Champ just for when it set for a couple
            of weeks. If you go to a manual pump get a Carter and not an Air Tex.(junk)
            This is just one person’s opinion of Airtex fuel pumps. I am a parts dealer and I have sold many Airtex fuel pumps. I did have a problem with V-8 pumps a few years ago, but the ones I have been getting from my wholesale source and selling for the past 3 or 4 years have had no issues at all. And I never had any problems with 6 cylinder Airtex pumps.
            (Plus, the current offering of Carter pumps are reboxed Airtex pumps.)

Comment

I use electric fuel pumps for the simple fact they overcome heat much better than the mech. I mount mine on the frame rail on rubber isolators. All you need is a heavy L bracket with rubber mounts. Works well for me.
              sals54

Comment

Sounds like it may be a good truck with as Jack said, a few minor issues to be put back to stock or at least safe.

This could be a E5 6 Cyl. Truck converted to a V8 which many of them you find today are.
                The Overdrive not finished could be part of that change or a Overdrive replaced a Standard Trans. and not finished.

They may have planned to use a toggle switch instead of a Kickdown switch to control the Overdrive, a backyard method to be sure.

Please note that the "Correct" Antenna installation is through the Left Fender AND the Cowl into the Driver's Door Post, NOT just through the Fender into the wheelwell. Your Fenders likely have been replaced.

If you relocate the Electric fuel Pump near the Tank on the Frame, and mount it on rubber insulators (with a ground wire) you should not hear it much depending on the Type/Brand.

We see lots of these "cosmetic Restorations" sometimes with a lot of "Mods", swapped parts or poor mechanical "Fixes" listed on eBay and Craigslist quite often, usually for too much money.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Sounds like it may be a good truck with as Jack said, a few minor issues to be put back to stock or at least safe.

This could be a E5 6 Cyl. Truck converted to a V8 which many of them you find today are.
                  The Overdrive not finished could be part of that change or a Overdrive replaced a Standard Trans. and not finished.

They may have planned to use a toggle switch instead of a Kickdown switch to control the Overdrive, a backyard method to be sure.

Please note that the "Correct" Antenna installation is through the Left Fender AND the Cowl into the Driver's Door Post, NOT just through the Fender into the wheelwell. Your Fenders likely have been replaced.

If you relocate the Electric fuel Pump near the Tank on the Frame, and mount it on rubber insulators (with a ground wire) you should not hear it much depending on the Type/Brand.

We see lots of these "cosmetic Restorations" sometimes with a lot of "Mods", swapped parts or poor mechanical "Fixes" listed on eBay and Craigslist quite often, usually for too much money.
                  Truck is 6 cyl. I've ordered production order but have yet to receive it but I do not believe truck was originally overdrive equipped. The control cable is not original and throttle linkage does not have kickdown switch bracket. I need correct throttle cross shaft PN 1696507 or 1693142 but have been unable to locate it. One of the "mystery switches" is a small toggle mounted through dash under heater control. It actually looks pretty nice. It's connected to 2 terminals on the OD solenoid but nothing happens when I use it. Maybe someday I'll be able to connect everything properly but 'til then I'll be OD less. The other mystery switch was actually a household light switch. I spent yesterday under the truck tracing the wires. They went back halfway to the rear and then were cut off so I just removed them. While under the truck I'm still amazed at no rust and no evidence of any bodywork. Imagine a rust-free Studebaker. I believe that fenders and possibly even doors may have been replaced. "Studebaker" emblems on fenders and no "Champ" emblems on doors. Antenna is incorrectly mounted on cowl not fender but it actually looks good there. Someday I'll poke around under dash to see if there is actually an antenna wire since there is no radio. Guess I'll wait to receive production order to learn more. Until then I'll enjoy truck as is. Looks great, runs and drives great.

Comment

Working...
                  X