Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Coil springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Coil springs

My intention is not to bad-mouth a supplier that may have helped other club members, rather to help other club members make good decisions when looking for replacement or lowering coil springs for their cars. After doing what was probably too little research on the internet, I decided to go with Eaton Springs in Detroit. Something about their name and the Detroit location made me think they might have been an OE supplier back in the day. I ordered front coils that would be made to be two-inches shorter than the stock coil springs in order to lower my '51 Champion's front end.

What I received were a pair of coil springs that were very different than any, Studebaker or other, than I had ever seen. Besides not having the ends of the springs ground flat or being of a constant diameter like stock Studebaker springs, these springs were extremely barrel-shaped with widely spaced coils. It was suggested that they looked like overload springs. The local front end shop declined to install them because they were so different than the factory parts.

Eaton accepted the return, but then tacked on a 15% restocking fee. Once it was pointed out that that could not be done after the fact, and without the agreement of both parties prior to the return, they refunded the full amount of the purchase. Still, I am out a total of $100 for shipping the springs twice, both ways, from Eaton to California and back.

I then ordered the same lowered springs from Coil Springs Specialties, in Kansas, the shop I had initially bypassed in favor of Eaton. The lowered springs arrived today and look like they came directly from Studebaker; just what I was hoping to get.

I have sent Eaton Springs photos of what an OE Studebaker spring looks like with its flat, ground ends and straight coils. Hopefully they will adjust their manufacturing process to be able to to be a valid Studebaker supplier.
Working...
X