Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Camshaft identify - Studebaker V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Camshaft identify - Studebaker V8

How would one tell if a cam was an early billet type as opposed to the much more common cast type? Is there a casting number or numbers that identify these cams?
    Last edited by Sagandaga; 12-07-2018, 01:13 PM.

There is a number on the cam just a few lobs above the dist. drive gear. The 2 easiest ways to tell, is to clean it good and you will find them copper plated on the base shaft. Or drop it to the ground from an inch or 2 above the ground and they will ring. The cast cam will have a dull thud.
    Last edited by Alan; 12-08-2018, 08:23 AM.

Comment

If the Cam is from a 1952 or Later V8 Engine you need not worry about it being one of the Bad early 1951 Cams that when known/found, were Dealer recalled and replaced.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Alan wrote -
        Or drop it to the ground from an inch or to above the ground and they will ring. The cast cam will have a dull thud.

Just like a high quality fastener vs. a bad quality fastener.
        Plus there won't be any...cast iron roughness ! It'll be fully machined.

Mike

Comment

Early 232 steel cams had a single punch mark on the cam snout even with the keyway. read that on info found in box of early steel cam lifters found in stash. Luck Doofus

Comment

I took my cam from my 259 in to a cam shop for retuning and the guy recognized it from 10 feet away, I just walked in the door and he said that is from a Studebaker V8. I asked him how could you tell from that far away he said they are easy to recognize.

Comment

That 5th bearing is a dead giveaway. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by Sagandaga View Post
                How would one tell if a cam was an early billet type as opposed to the much more common cast type? Is there a casting number or numbers that identify these cams?
                What is the number(s) that would be stamped on the cam?

Comment

Working...
                X